Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2003, 09:03 PM

Default 37s hand utg

Yes, I know. I know. 37s utg. For the first time in I don't know how long, I suddenly went on ultra mega overload tilt, worthy of the tiltboys, last friday night. I was ashamed of this hand, but decided to post it anyway to see what thoughts people have.

Background: I'm up about 3 racks in an aggressive 20-40 game, but I've given back about 600 in the last six hands. I've been raising lots with premium hands, but people are starting to get disgruntled with my aggressive ways and are fighting back. So I'm on tilt now for some reason. I don't know how it happened, or could even recognize it until this hand came up; like I said, it's been a while that I've gone on tilt and had it severely affect my game. Anyway here is the hand.

I have 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and open-limp utg. Folded to the CO who raises. Folded back to me, I three-bet. CO grunts once and calls.

The flop comes 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check, CO bets, I raise, he calls.

Turn is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check and my opponent checks.

River is T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet.

How did I do with this total piece of trash? Who won the hand? Who likes the bet on the river?

-Diplomat
Old 09-11-2003, 09:07 PM

Default Re: 37s hand utg

I like it a lot except the whole preflop thing.

p.s. if you go on tilt when you're winning thats um bad. I took the worst beating of my (short) life last weekend and I thought I played great [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2003, 09:11 PM

were you betting the river to represent trip 10s? or did you think he had overcards? (value betting)
Old 09-11-2003, 09:26 PM

really now, you were on tilt. Get up and leave rather than play 7-3s. If I was giving a nice win back, I would head for the exits.

Maybe you won with this trash, as your opponent was on a diamond draw.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:27 PM

Actually it was discussed a while ago on the psychology forum under the post, "reverse tilt" or something like that. When things are running good, and then suddenly really bad, you can go on tilt. Even if you are still way up. Real mean-assed tilt.

-Diplomat
Old 09-11-2003, 09:28 PM

Well yeah, that would be the logical thing to do. Sometimes the most logical thought is not the first one in my head though.

I did get up one round later though. The table almost broke after I played this hand.

-Diplomat
Old 09-11-2003, 09:34 PM

I forgot to mention that my opponent was a decent thinking opponent that I've played with a few times before. He probably knows that I rarely would raise UTG with a ten in my hand unless it is TT, so I doubt he put me on trip tens...so I would not represent them. Plus I probably would have bet the turn with a ten.

Of course, I did just play 37s utg, so anything is possible from me now. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Your second guess is correct on my read of him.

-Diplomat
Old 09-11-2003, 09:44 PM

Why didn't you bet the turn?

Seriously, you must've thought you were ahead when your opponent merely called your checkraise, unless he had a mid pair, in which case he may lay it down to your turn bet. Surely the 4 didn't help him. If you're raised on the turn, you can happily fold (or tilt re-raise).

Oh, and if you're gonna play 37s UTG... raise, don't limp. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-11-2003, 09:50 PM

I'm glad to hear that you left after one round, but really your big blind was up next. After this hand would have been the best time to leave before you give back your two racks. Playing 37s utg is really a bad tilt ... I'd probably take a couple days off after this.

Anyways having played that c rap to begin with, your cr on flop is fine but I would have lead out on the turn unless you had been playing crazy the last few hands and he would call you down with anything. If you had been playing super aggressive one the last round it would appear to me like you decided to limp in with big pocket pair and would probably fold on turn with a small pocket pair or overcards.

Having checked turn I like your bet on river. He may call you down with A high or there is a small chance he could fold a better hand. I doubt you would have to worry about a raise on river and I assume if you checked you'd call anyway so I like your bet.

Instinct
Old 09-11-2003, 09:50 PM

the post flop play stinks.