Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2003, 05:49 PM

Default Flopped Draw--Would you play it the same?

15-30 hand online. I have Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] two off the button. All fold to me, I raise. Only the big blind defends. The flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB bets, I raise, BB calls. The turn is the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He now bets (?)...I call. The river is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He checks? Now what? Did I play this ok so far or am I really losing my mind (as it seems lately).

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-11-2003, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Flopped Draw--Would you play it the same?

I would check the river, worried that his check is a bluff-inducing check. Other than that it looks like you played it fine.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:07 PM

hi jeff
this situation depends upon how he perceives you. if you have a solid image, then you're good for a bluff attempt on the river, provided that this opponent isn't a loose bluff raiser or aggressive/ loose. then, you'll have to check it down.

the problem is that if you have bluffing conditions on the river, you had them on the turn. so, if you called the turn, you should check-down the river. the obvious solution is to opt to semi-bluff the turn and maintain the option to bluff-raise the river, when bluffing conditions exist. don't decide to bluff after showing turn weakness. does that mean that a river bluff should only be made after attempting a turn semi-bluff? i think that it does, although, there are situations that can come up on the river that makes a gut instinct bluff on the river ok., just don't go looking for it. tend to start deducing your bluff options and matching them to the player and board when you have semi-bluffed the turn. since your gut instinct here is not to bluff(if my gut instinct is right) then don't bluff.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:53 PM

When he elects to call your raise on the flop instead of re-raising and then betting out on the turn, it looks like he hit the turn. J7, 77? But when he checks the river, I get confused ... is he now going for a check-raise? Was he only joking on the turn? I don't know what he's hoping for at this point. He may have thought you could make a good tough lay down on the turn if bet into (that failed). If he's the type that will lay down second or third pair on the river to a single bet after there's ~7 BB's in the pot, then by all means, bet.

I've never seen as many bad beats as I've seen on Paradise Poker! I KNOW WITHOUT DOUBT THAT I'M GOING TO LOSE ON PARADISE WHEN I HAVE AA OR KK IN THE HOLE - IT HAPPENS WITHOUT FAIL ABOUT 8 TIMES IN A ROW AND COUNTING.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:33 PM

most likely hand for him is a jack with a solid kicker or a very weak king.

He's going to call your river bet, it screams of inducing a bluff.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:00 PM

I'm unsure of the players at this level but I think "a bluff-inducing check" is giving Party players far too much credit.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:52 PM

I think inducing a bluff is a relatively basic play at this level. I do have to give some Party players credit...while there are many bad players in these games, some are fantastic and some loose players happen to play extremely well/tricky postflop. There are many fish but also many sharks.

Jeff
Old 09-11-2003, 09:11 PM

> 15-30 hand online. I have Q 10 two off the button. All fold to me, I raise. Only the big blind defends. The flop comes K J 5 . BB bets, I raise, BB calls. The turn is the 7 . He now bets (?)

So the bet on the turn looks to me like a free card defense. After the blind defense, the bet and call on the flop, and bet on the turn I'd guess his hand has showdown equity but isn't very strong. Very weak king, strongish jack.

> ...I call.

So the question is what do you plan when you do this? This is the moment to decide if you have any bluff equity or not. If you just call I can't see getting him off any made hand on a river blank. But you might consider semi-bluff reraising. You have a bunch of outs and his hand looks weak. Attack.

> The river is the 2 . He checks? Now what?

I think after the turn call you have to check. He is likely to be trying to induce a bluff.

> Did I play this ok so far or am I really losing my mind (as it seems lately).

Seems like you played it fine to me. The only question is what you plan was on the turn when you called. If you were still thinking about bluffing the river then that might have been an error.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:47 PM

I think this is a great post...my gut feeling was to raise this strange stop and go, but then I thought my opponent was looking for 3 bets possibly and you know what? I also thought that sometimes you need to actually make a hand to take down a pot and I felt this was one of those times. I feel a raise is good against the right person but doing this indisciminately can be quite costly...I agree that failing to raise the turn, a river bet is begging to be called.

Jeff
Old 09-11-2003, 10:14 PM

Consider, your EV for calling the turn and folding the river unimproved is 8/46(+5.75BB)+38/46(-1BB) = +0.17BB (assuming an average 0.5BB river profit when you hit). If your opponent will fold the turn with probability X (and you win another 1BB those times you hit on the river, otherwise a river bluff starts to become too profitable), your EV for semibluffing the turn is X(+5.25BB)+(1-X)(8/46(+7.25BB)+38/46(-2BB)). As long as X > 0.10, the semibluff shows a profit of more than +0.17BB.

So what this boils down to is that you should consider making a raise on the turn here unless your opponent is especially tenacious. Given the board and prior action, you should more frequently have the hand than the draw, so most opponents should be willing to fold a pair more often than the 10% you require to show a profit over just calling to improve. Plus, raising here should help you get paid off more when you do have the goods on the turn. Just don't do it so often that your thinking opponents have odds to call down all the time or start making some funky 3-bets, reducing your profitability on the play.

Anyway, given that you don't raise the turn, I don't like your chances of getting a better hand to fold to a bet on the river. It seems very likely he has a pair, and very unlikely he's going to fold it now.