Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2003, 08:25 AM

Default \"Monster\" in the BB

'Stars 2-table SNG yesterday. 13 left, 7 at my table, 2 biggest stacks at the other table. I have about 2200, opponent in this hand has about 1900.

I'm in the BB and get the powerhouse 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Folded to player 2 off the button who limps. C/O, button and SB fold, I check.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check and immediately slide the cursor over to where I expect to see the fold button pop up when my opponent surprises me and checks behind.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I didn't really have a read on my opponent here, but generally, I'd view limping first in 2 off the button as weak. Two tiny pair and 250 in the pot. Oh, well, it doesn't look like he liked the flop. I bet 250. He hesitates for 15 seconds or so and raises to 900.

I put a lot of thought into my decision. I know what I did and why I did it. What's your play?

My decision and results later.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:38 AM

Default Re: \"Monster\" in the BB

He limps and checks the flop? Sounds like and Ax that's looking to trap. When U hit your bottom 2, and bet, he comes over the top? Did he think you were trying to steal, and did you put him on a re-steal? If so, I'm allin on him there, given that you need to come to the final table with a good stack to get in the money.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:45 AM

I smell an ace. Whether he has two better pair than you (or a set or str8) is a judgement call on your part. If you just think he's been stupidly slowplaying a bad ace, but doesn't have two pair, call. I'd say call, rather than reraise all-in, because you want to make sure you don't get counterfeited on the river. It seems like AQ would/should have raised coming in, but then people do even stupid-er things all the time. If you chose to fold here, I wouldn't be too upset about it, but I doubt you did.

al
Old 09-08-2003, 10:24 AM

As others have said, he's got at least an A, most likely. Your play is clearly fold now, or call and check-call the river. If you know nothing about this opponent, I would tend to call.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 09-08-2003, 12:12 PM

He raises half his stack after checking a AQ2 rainbow. I'd put him on an Ax, or Qx. He most likely thought your check ment you didn't have either one and is trying to steal the pot. Since he waited so long to bet, (15 seconds online is a loooong time) that alone would tell me that you're better than he is. Tap him and see what kind of balls he has.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:02 PM

Default Results

Like everyone here, I put him on an A with an unpaired kicker. I raised all-in. He called and flipped over A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The river brought the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and I doubled up.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:08 PM

One question, Greg. I raised all-in because from a purely pot-odds position, a call on his part would be wrong. While I see the logic that calling the turn raise means that 5 of his 8 outs won't bust me, don't I lose more EV the times he doesn't improve and checks behind on the river than I save the times an A or Q comes on the river and I can check-fold?
Old 09-08-2003, 01:47 PM

The problem with raising now is that he clearly won't call if he's bluffing, and he clearly will call when he's got you beat. Of course, if he's got you beat, he's betting the river, and you're calling to lose the same amount, so we can ignore those times he's got you beat, as either play loses the same for you.

If he's bluffing, by calling now and checking the river, he might bluff again. Gravy for you.

If he's got the Ax hand, you win the same if he bets the river after missing. You lose a little EV if he folds to your raise on the turn, but that's not so bad since your variance drops as low as possible. You only lose out when he checks his Ax one pair on the river. A lot of opponents won't check it, even if they should, but that will vary a lot.

And, of course, you can check-fold the river if an A or Q hits.

Overall, it is my guess that you're better off calling only. However, if the player is going to always check the river unless he improves, then you can either raise now, or bet the river (if no A or Q hits).

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 09-08-2003, 05:05 PM

I've seen the results but here are my comments anyways.

I think the key is the flop of AQ2. Most will raise with AA/QQ/AQ. Possible sets of 22 or 33 (turn) are less likely because you have one of each. The most likely limping hands that have 2 pair are either A2 or A3. With A3 most would bet the flop against 1 blind hand.

If the flop was A72 I would be much more likely to fold since A7 or 77 are possible and played the way many would on the flop/turn.

Glad it worked out!

Ken Poklitar
Old 09-08-2003, 06:18 PM

Default The worst part of the hand....

...is clearly that it was played online. In live play you'd have the opportunity to announce your hand as "threes up" which I assure you is one of the greatest feelings in the universe.