Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2003, 12:12 AM

Default Should I have just CALLED?

Single table SnG at UB. I've fought my way back from T150 to T2800. 7 people still at the table, and the blinds are 75/150. I'm UTG and find myself with 99. BB is a shortstack, with about T600 after posting.

So, I decide to limp and see what the flop might bring, planning to fold to a large reraise. Big stack limps in MP, SB folds, and BB checks. Flop comes 468 with two diamonds. BB pushes all-in. I think for a second and decide that I want to call his bet, but that I don't want the big stack in this any longer, so I reraise allin. Big stack, of course, calls me with 44, BB turns over 69. Turn and river give SB a straight, and big stack walks away with the rest of my stack.

Should I have just called the short stack's all in raise, or was reraising to isolate the right move? If big stack reraises me, is this a clear fold due to relative stack sizes (I was a distant 2nd place at the time)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Should I have just CALLED?

Never limp from UTG. Why, cause on the flop, you have no clue where you are. Just luke what happened.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:04 AM

Nothing wrong with your move on the flop.

But I don't like your limp pre-flop. I'm raising in a 7-handed game.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:22 PM

Post-flop I think you did fine. Too bad you ended in 3rd place in the hand [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Pre-flop I would only limp UTG if I felt by limping I would get others to also limp. But 7 handed I likely raise or fold.

Ken Poklitar
Old 09-08-2003, 02:21 PM

Contrary to everyone, I too would limp with 99. This is not a great hand, and if you dont flop a set, you need to start getting away from it. With big stack still in the game, you need to ask what is he playing with? I would have also put him on Ax, and probably sucked out like you. But without improving on the flop, I think you could have raised to 1000 and still get big stack out of the hand, and not risk everything. If he is on a bluff he wont call; if he has a hand and calls, you live to fight another day
Old 09-08-2003, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone. Looking back, I definitely could have tried less severe means to get the big stack out of the hand without risking my enchilada on a pair of 9s.

The limping I'm not sure about, but I'd would be more inclined to muck these than raise em. I hate playing medium pairs after the flop with overcards on the flop.

To make things worse, the next tourney I played in I busted on the bubble with KK when my opponent in the SB called a pot sized raise PF with a J3o, only to spike 2 pair on the flop and relieve me of the rest of my chips. Ouch.