Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2003, 07:12 AM

Default should u always raise with AA

Should u always raise with pocket AA

I was on the button with 6 callers in front, with blinds that almost always defend with any two. I just called (had I raised I am 90% sure every one would have called) to avoid giving pot odds to the players that limped in with trash. I flopped quads and won a small pot. My question is given the same circumstances do you think I should all ways raise, or is my thinking correct?
Old 09-05-2003, 07:26 AM

Default Re: should u always raise with AA

hi john
you can't leave bets on the table john. you've got to raise.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:32 AM

in that position you should always raise .the preflop value is just too strong.plus,your goofed up on pot odds,you should raise in multi way pots with that hand,AXs and many other pocket pairs and suited connectors so if if you flop a set or huge hand,the pot would be so big players will chase you all the way with inferior draws and sets,or if you miss players will check to you the preflop raiser and you can take a free card to catch your set, on the other hand if everyone folded to a sharp player on the button and he raised,and your in the big blind heads up a smooth call may be in order for deception so you can extract extra bets after the flop to compensate for the missed reraise preflop.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:50 AM

You shouldn't be so results oriented, you won't always flop quads with your Aces. Don't be concerned with raising Aces preflop.

Just kidding, you should be raising them almost all the time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The only time you would even consider limping is when you think theres an excellent chance of getting a limp reraise in, or you are first in on the button and the blinds are tight (in this spot I would probably still raise and show my hand if everyone folds because I won't always have a great hand raising in this spot)
Old 09-05-2003, 10:54 AM

There may be times not to raise with AA ... this is not one of them.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:14 AM

“To crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the weeping and laminations of their women.”

You laminate women?

-S
Old 09-05-2003, 11:14 AM

I was on the button with 6 callers in front, with blinds that almost always defend with any two.

So make them pay to play this way. Hell, it might even help you out later in the session.

P.S. I'm curious as to how you played the quads. I would have to assume it was checked to you, and you bet from the button, right? The thinking being that

a.)not having raised preflop, you gotta get the chips in now, even if it means possibly not getting paid with your monster hand, and

b.)your bet might look like a position bet, and could be that much more to be called by second pairs, etc.

Anyway, did you consider checking or smooth-calling the flop?
Old 09-05-2003, 01:49 PM

If they want to pay to draw against you when they're clearly a long way behind then let them. You might as well collect bets here as most will just muck on the flop when they miss. If someone flops a 4 flush or an open ended straight they'll have the odds to draw to it anyway.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:14 PM

An aggressive player that I know well bet out from early position there was a flush draw and a Q on board so I decide to play it aggressively. My raise was called by early position better. Then checked to me one the turn, I bet he folded. This all happened after I finished banging my head on the table for not raising preflop, so i am sure this could have been played bettter.