Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2003, 12:21 PM

Default 1k SNG hand

I'd like to have some feedback on this bluff. Not sure if I did the right thing, although it seemed a good play at the moment.

So, the game is a 1K sit and go tourney. The blinds are 25 and 50. I have T1170 and my opponent T1830.

My opponent is aggressive and plays back when he senses weakness. Also, he can play back against "auto-bets" on the flop. As a consequence I've been checking some flops behind, and he does that as well. And as a consequence of that we both have been betting against the "flow" of the hand.

OK, the hand. He is in the SB and button and calls the BB. I check with 98o. Bit of info about me...I have in the early stages checked some aces against his limping in and got payed of on one hand.

Flop: AAT

I bet out 100 in the 100 pot. He raises back to 450.

I decide after short thinking to go all-in for 670 more (so a raise to 1120).

Comments?

Regards
Old 08-31-2003, 06:00 PM

Default Re: 1k SNG hand

I dont like this reraise at all here. On the flop you lead out with a bluff 100(9% of your chips), when you get raised 350 (31% of your chips) instead of folding your reraise all in on a bluff. Unless your againest a timid opponent this just doesn't seem like a smart move. I dont think you have enough chips to make this a profitable bluff. Your opponent gets almost 2.5 to 1 on calling your bet and I think a knowledgable opponent would call here with any ten, ace, two pair, but also with any gutshot draw JQ, KJ, KQ and maybe even K or Q high. Of course if you get called your almost certainly a big dog if not drawing dead. If you fold this hand you have about 1000 left in chips and with 25-50 blinds thats plenty of time to make a comeback.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:02 PM

i don't think this is a bad play at all. you already mentioned that the guy is an aggressive player, so this can easily be a raise on nothing. most players with an ace here will slowplay it hoping you'll bluff away more money, as it's very hard to catch up on that flop.

you're getting 3:2 on your bluff, he can't really call unless he has an ace (unless he can read you very well), and there is surely not a 40% chance he has an ace here if he's as aggressive as you sound.

then again, since you posted here, there's a nearly 100% chance he has it. oh well...
Old 08-31-2003, 06:16 PM

what kind of "knowledgeable opponents" are you playing against that will call with queen high when you make a power move like this? call them up and tell them to sit down in a game with me, because i want their money.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:47 PM

The flow of the hand just doesnt seem right for a bluff, doesnt mean that bluffing wasnt the right move, just not my move. Crock there are many ways to play successful NL Holdem, I would call a tricky opponent here if I had a good read with only a Q high. If you would like to play for $$$ no problem, I usually play on pokerstars PM for possible times.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:31 PM

There is no reason to believe he does not have a ten. Sure an ace would probably call here but he still may have one, I limp with an ace all the time.

If he calls with a ten or an ace you are drawing thin and dead. If you are going to bluff here it's better to have a hand like JK so you at least have a chance to draw out.

If you are a significantly better player than him, and you should be if you sit down at a 1K table with him, you have to find a better spot than this to get your money in. You still have plenty of chips and time.

I think it's a big mistake to push it all in here.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:12 AM

It's a heads up tourney though isn't it? he can definitely call with a 10. I would, even without a read.

I don't like this push in particular since there are so few outs if called, which looks a little too likely here.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:34 AM

sigh, i appear to have badly misunderstood the context of the question. for whatever reason, i was under the impression this was a regular single table tourney and the action had been folded to the blinds (missed the part about him being on the button). in the case of a full table, i defend the play, as you're much less likely to get a call from something like a T6, which would probably call you heads up.

in a heads-up match, the opponent is certainly liable to call you down on suspicion much more often. this makes the bluff considerably more questionable. i definitely now agree with the other posters that it would be a lot nicer if you had a hand like two face cards, giving you a gutshot with overcards to his possible 10, when making this play. an all-in bluff is far more in need of outs than a bet of only part of your stack.

in any case, this play depends a lot on what the other player thinks of you. had i been playing passively thusfar, i would be inclined to make a big play like this.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:10 AM

Anyone with good card reading abilities. Nothing looks more like a bluff than the big push in.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:14 AM

again i'm sorry, i misunderstood the context of the question as i stated in my other post. i meant to say that in a ten person SNG this kind of sequence would be very likely to induce a fold even from a ten unless he believes he has a good read on you.

i should have read the original post more carefully.