Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2003, 12:45 PM

Default AA vs. the stop and go

Online $4/$8. I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG+1. UTG folds, I raise, guy on my left folds, MP reraises, folded around to me, I cap, MP calls. MP is unknown to me.

The flop comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet, MP raises, I reraise, MP calls.

The turn comes 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet, MP raises, I call.

The river comes T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check, MP checks behind.

Should I have reraised the turn? Should I have bet the river? I was going to post some thoughts in this message, but I think I'll tack them on a little later so that anyone who wants to can reply based on just the facts.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:50 PM

Default Re: AA vs. the stop and go

Presumably he had KK.

I think I'd want to reraise the turn or bet the river.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:07 PM

I'll take a stab in an effort to improve my own hand reading ablitiy.

Reraising preflop ususally means a high pair or high cards.
AA is unlikely, two pair is unlikely due to the preflop action and texture of the board. QQ I would have expected a cap on the flop. AQ is possible. TT or Tx probably wouldn't reraise preflop. I'd put him on KK and reraise the turn and bet the river.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:20 PM

Default Re: AA vs. the stop and go (thoughts and results)

The 7 on the turn changed absolutely nothing unless my opponent is an absolute maniac raising the flop with 77, so I figured he had a made hand on the flop: KK, QQ with an outside chance of TT or AA. Mathematically speaking, he's more likely to have KK or AA than the set, but the stop and go really confused me. I decided to just call, thinking that if I raised again he might fold if I was ahead, and would definitely cap if I was behind. I was also going to call the river in any case, so I hoped that by not raising I might encourage a bet from KK.

The 10 on the river didn't seem to change anything either so I checked as planned, intending to call a bet. When my opponent checked behind, I was 100% sure I had won the hand. I showed my aces and he mucked, but the hand history revealed that he held JJ. I guess he was hoping that I had AK...
Old 08-29-2003, 01:29 PM

You will never be cast as victim in a horror movie, as you see monsters everywhere and would never be suprised by your killer's dramatic appearance. 3-bet the turn. If 4-bet, check-call the river. Its also not best to include the results, well down.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:50 PM

You are more likely to be ahead of KK, AQ or AK (especially if they are suited in clubs) then you are to be behind QQ or TT.

I'd 3-bet the turn and bet the river if a non-club falls and/or I wasn't 4-bet on the turn. If I was 4-bet on the turn or a club falls, I'd check call the river.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:58 PM

Default Re: AA vs. the stop and go (thoughts and results)

How would you people played JJ in this case? Pre-flop the same way, but after the re-raise on the flop? Either fold, or call and then fold on the turn unless the turn card helped?