Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2003, 09:04 PM

Default My thoughts on tournament entry requirements

I know this probably won't be the most popular opinion, but I think it holds some water. The KOTZ tourney is exclusive to an extent. You need 25 "quality" posts to get in to prove your contribution to the forum. This, in part, is to encourage lurkers and posters to get more active in the forum.

I think that's fine for the KOTZ, but there's no reason to have this same policy for the "Zoo does TruePoker" as well. I think that allowing newer players to play will most likely increase their participation more than giving them a quota to fill before qualifying for a tourney.

I'm not knocking Simon's way of handling the KOTZ, but when you guys see some newer players in the tourney, I don't want anyone to be like wtf??

That being said, if someone like Fishy tries to enter, I reserve the right to say no. Just some thoughts while watching the Colts/Broncos game.

Cup

btw, anyone remember the football promo Party did last year? I loved that thing, even though I never placed.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:14 PM

Default Re: My thoughts on tournament entry requirements

btw, anyone remember the football promo Party did last year? I loved that thing, even though I never placed.

Yep, it was pretty fun. I only had a ~5th place finish in one of the weeks. I dont think anyone won perfect back to back to win the grand prize though...
Old 08-25-2003, 09:28 PM

This issue has been discussed before and caused a lot of controversy. I'd like to think it was all water under the bridge, but all the same I will address the situation re: King of the Zoo.

25 posts - I am now more inclined to stick to that number, and bar any insanity in the posting of those 25 (people posting crap to sneak in), that is the only requirement. The vetting system can become very time consuming if you have to read every single post somebody has made. I tend to listen to the rumour mill and heed the advice given to me by more regular posters here.

What other people do with their events is their business. It will be interesting to see your system cup, there are sure to be plenty of interesting things to learn from it.

Changing the subject slightly, the length of posts and subsequent quality of them has been discussed. Am I right in thinking some people regard short posts as poor quality in comparison to long passages of text? There's nothing worse than reading a long post and finding out that most of it is drivel (something akin to the cack I have just spent 20 minutes compiling). At least if a short post is drivel, it can be quickly skipped.

My two penneth.

Simon
Old 08-25-2003, 09:43 PM

Now that these events seem to be done more frequently, it seems having the post requirements is not so odious a task. Enforce it; why not? The whole point, I thought, was a tournament filled with people we "knew," so to speak. Otherwise, just enter any tournament online.

That said, I don't really care. I'll play the next NL event though...

(of course, I said that last time)...
Old 08-25-2003, 10:01 PM

It will be interesting to see your system cup, there are sure to be plenty of interesting things to learn from it.

I agree. I look at this as a learning experience. If it sucks, we'll have something to reference in the future. From the PMs I've gotten, the majority of the people that have signed up are regulars anyways, so the change between players in our tournies won't be that great I don't think.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:33 AM

What about posts regarding barn animals?
Old 08-26-2003, 01:05 AM

"Am I right in thinking some people regard short posts as poor quality in comparison to long passages of text?"

I love short one-liners that are either insightful, funny as hell or poke fun at themselves or one of the regular posters, except me of course.

MS Sunshine
Old 08-26-2003, 01:07 AM

What about posts regarding barn animals?

Never really a deluge of them here to the best of my knowledge, but if that is your kind of thing try out onlinechimps forum. A post about barn animals there would no doubt be classed as a 'quality post' in that domain.

Simon
Old 08-26-2003, 01:11 AM

I love short one-liners that are either insightful, funny as hell or poke fun at themselves or one of the regular posters, except me of course.

Thats my take on it too. There have been numerous classics on this board in the past year or so that have consisted of a few lines of thoughful text. Unfortunately my memory is so terrible I cannot think of an example [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Simon
Old 08-26-2003, 03:24 AM

Default Many will disagree, but

I've made three quality posts so far. Sign me up for 2027.