Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2003, 10:36 AM

Default 75 in the BB... river check-raise?

Online $3/$6. I sat down earlier in the orbit, but was waiting for the blind, so this is the first hand I've played. I've already noticed that my principle opponent in this hand appears to be either loose-agressive, tilting, or both...

I'm in the big blind and I pick up 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. All fold to the loose guy mentioned above who limps, all fold to the small blind who completes, I check.

The flop comes 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Not bad for complete trash. I bet out, only the loose guy calls.

The turn comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet, he calls.

The river comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check, he bets, I raise.

So, what do people think of the river check raise heads up with two pair on a board with a four straight. I had no doubt at all that I would be called by this opponent with a worse hand, and I was pretty sure he'd have raised at some point if he had anything at all (I'd seen him raise middle pair and nothing else earlier...), so the only danger is if he's got a 3 or an 8. Or if he checks behind, which doesn't seem in character. So I went for it. Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2003, 11:23 AM

Default you most likely win this hand

IF he has 8-3 and is in this hand, then he is tilting something awful. If he has a pair of 8s then he would have rasied pre-flop if on tilt. So the only hand he might that beats you is a pair of 3s. Most likey he has nothing but a pair.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:40 AM

Default Re: 75 in the BB... river check-raise?

So, what do people think of the river check raise heads up with two pair on a board with a four straight.

Well, it sounds like this guy will bet the river blindly when checked to, so that's an argument in favor of check-raising. The thing is, it sounds like you can't safely lay down if he three-bets, so that's an argument in favor of betting out and calling a raise.

Honestly, I'm not ballsy enough to check-raise with two-pair on this board, so maybe I'm not qualified to answer. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

-- Homer
Old 08-18-2003, 01:09 PM

Default Re: 75 in the BB... river check-raise?

Sure looks to me like he hit something along the way or he has nothing and won't call the raise.

He probably didn't hit the 5 since he probably would have raised with his straight draw on the flop. He probably didn't hit the Q since he didn't raise on the turn. He probably didn't slowplay 64. He probably doesn't have a 7 since he didn't raise the flop.

Lets hope he's got a 6 and will call the raise (maybe), with no 3,7,8,Q and no 2-spades.

Lets hope he does NOT have a raggedy 8x or 3x or 2-spades.

I think the ragedy hands that beat you over-shadow the ragedy hands he can have to call the raise.

You should have check-raised him on the turn. Doh!

- Louie
Old 08-18-2003, 01:27 PM

Default Re: 75 in the BB... river check-raise? (RESULTS)

My opponent calls my check raise and mucks when I show my two pair. Hand history reveals that he held... T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Yes, that's right, he called down the river check raise with Q-high. Playing with this guy was an absolute dream. A lot of other people weren't picking up that he had no standards for betting/raising at all, but unfortunately I was right across the table from him and didn't get that many chances to isolate. But it was still a lot of fun.