Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2003, 11:12 AM

Default Inside the poker mind?

Is this book valuable to someone who understands the basics and has read Jones's WLLH and Sklansky's TOP and HPFAP? I am looking for a new read. Thanks
Old 08-14-2003, 11:45 AM

Default Very much so, IMO

while it may not apply as much to low-limit games, assuming you're in those, it will give you a lot to think about
Old 08-15-2003, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Inside the poker mind?

I agree with Easy E's post. I'd also suggest the Psychology of Poker to give you good insight on when and how to adjust your game against certain types of players. IMO, PoP goes hand-in-hand with Feeney's Book and should not be overlooked.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:32 AM

I think it's an excellent book. Very well written and has lot of info that even though is written for players with more experience and at higher limits than me, I find very helpful. I always play well after reading this book.

I've also read TOP, HEP, HPFAP, Essays I, and the Tourney book. I'm into Essays II right now [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2003, 01:35 AM

Okay, I'll try to sit back let go of all bias, to look at the book as objectively and dispassionately as humanly possible, and to offer my take on it...

Greatest friggin poker book of all time, man.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:00 AM

If you're pretty new to the game and think you get the other books, but don't have that much experience, you'll probably read the book and feel like the AQ test and game preservation essays are good. The rest you'll probably think less of. Then play for 3-6 months, read the book again and you'll find so much more out of this book. It really is tremendous but needs to be re-read a few times especially after getting a good amount of experience.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:43 AM

Very much so.

Like you I also have a grasp of the basics and have been hitting the books and tables pretty hard. I think much of what John has written has been covered in other books, but for some reason his presentation of the material seemed to click for me. Immediately after reading it I noticed a big improvement in my overall attitude and play of the game.

I think Shoonmaker's Pscyology Of Poker along with Inside The Poker Mind make a great combination.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very much so.

I think much of what John has written has been covered in other books, but for some reason his presentation of the material seemed to click for me. Immediately after reading it I noticed a big improvement in my overall attitude and play of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

you hit the nail on the head with that statement
Old 08-18-2003, 04:09 PM

Thanks Redleg7. I appreciate your comments. I’d just like to add that the book also contains quite a bit that hadn’t been covered elsewhere. Ideas in essays like "Subtle Losses of Judgement," "Multiple Changing Images," "Quick Indicators," and a good number of others are examples. Still, I’m certainly glad to hear I was able to clarify well known concepts in a way that clicked for you. That was was one of my goals in writing Inside the Poker Mind.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:17 PM

You make an excellent point, BigLick. I've sometimes just warned less experienced readers away from the book. I think it can be accessible to them, though, if they're willing to read carefully, and to reread after getting more experience. This is because there is not only some material aimed at more experienced players, but there are places where, for better or worse, I tried to pack a lot of content into a little space, even the space "between the lines." [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]