Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2003, 10:59 PM

Default Bellagio 15-30: KK in the Small Blind

Was at the Bellagio playing this weekend, in a good 15-30 when the following hand came up. UTG+1, a tight, unimaginative player who never gets out of line open raises. All fold to button who three-bets. The button is loose-aggressive and would do this with a wide range of hands. I feel the he wants it heads up with the original raiser because he is easy to read. In the small blind, I have kings and just call, as does original raiser.

Flop comes down 10 8 4 with two hearts. UTG+1 bets, button raises, I three-bet, both call. Turn card is the dreaded Ace of diamonds. I am almost certian UTG+1 has queens or jacks, and even though I will have to call a bet from the button (since the pot is big and he would definitely bluff), i check, and they both check behind. River is the 2h, completing the possible flush. I bet, UTG+1 calls, and button folds.

Thoughts? Particularly on the turn check and river bet. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Bellagio 15-30: KK in the Small Blind

small question : you were the first to act on the flop, did you check it ?
Old 08-12-2003, 12:00 AM

hi river
on the turn, you must bet to stop the free-card. remember also that since you hold KK, there is less chance that the UTG has AA or AK. if he raises, fold. from LP, if he bet, you can fold. but here you must bet first in.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:17 AM

Yeah, I checked the flop because I felt that UTG+1 was so weak tight that he would not raise a flop bet and allow me to try for three bets, even though I was almost certian he held an overpair. However, I knew he would bet if checked to, thereby allowing me to get at least 2 bets, maybe three if the aggresive button raises, which he did.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:34 PM

I think that checking when the ace hits is the right thing to do. I do have a problem with you checking on the flop. From what I understand you have a very tight unimaginative player UTG and a loose raiser on the button. You are holding KK. You say that you assume that the guy UTG is holding an overcard pair but not AA. I'm not exactaly sure how you can assume this. Really, he could have AK, AQ or AJ in addition to having QQ and AA. Of course if he has AA then you are already dead. In addition the guy on the button sounds loose and could be hold A-8 or something. I think you should have come out betting on the flop and even reraised if raised. That may not knock out the loose guy but if the guy UTG has an AQ or even an AK he may not want to call another two bets to see two more cards. After the Ace hits though I agree with checking. The reason for this is that I would not fold if he bets or if the button guy raises the UTG guy at this point. Hopefully you can see everyones cards as cheaply as possible at this point. In short, if I had the KK in this situation I would try to win this pot as fast as possible. What was the final outcome.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:22 PM

Please explain to me how the chances of UTG having AA go down by hero having KK.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:24 PM

I understand your call pre-flop. UTG+1 could have AA. I like your check-raise on the flop. At this point you are in command. When the ace falls on the turn, I think you have to bet here to maintain momentum. If re-raised by the UTG+1 or button, you can fold or call and then check/call the river (unless one is a cold call).

UTG+1 could be playing AKo/AKs, while the button could be running with AXs/AXo. But I guess button was running with something else, maybe KJ or worse.

But given that you checked the turn, I like your bet on the river. It certainly sends the message you wanted to check-raise the turn. Too bad the UTG+1 stayed. I hope it wasn't AKo/AKs in his hand.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:29 PM

Reraising BTF might be a better play. Firstly you likely have the best hand and secondly UTG might fold and you now have a headsup pot with extra dead money. On the turn I would almost always bet after showing all this strength on the flop. Once you check you might as well turn your two cards over. You have announced to the table that you have pocket Kings or Queens. Also by checking you put yourself in a very bad spot if UTG bets and the button calls. What is your play then? Worse yet is if UTG bets and the button
makes a play at the pot and raises. Be aggressive, bet and make your opponents guess where you are.

Bruce
Old 08-12-2003, 01:36 PM

I would 4 bet pre-flop. Given your call, I love your check/3-bet on the flop.

I would bet the turn and call down a single raise. If I bet the turn, UTG+1 raises and button 3-bets, I would fold.

Given that you checked the turn, I like the river bet. Would you pay off a river raise? I would in this situation, unless it was 3-bets back to me, in which case I would fold.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:40 PM

i think he meant since an A is on the board and you have KK, the chances of them having AA or AK go down.

Also, since UTG+1 did not 4-bet pre-flop, I think you can assume his chances for AA are low.