Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2003, 12:03 PM

Default Fold AK heads-up?

Online $3/$6. Early morning table full of passive calling stations, plus a few people I don't recognize. I'm in the cutoff with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

UTG (unfortunately unknown) raises, folded around to me. I reraise, with the intention of knocking out the blinds and perhaps getting a little more information. Blinds fold, UTG reraises, I call.

The flop comes 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG bets, I fold.

The preflop cap from UTG made me think he had a pair in the hole or at least AK, and I didn't like the prospect of paying another $15 to split the pot at best. Does anyone play this differently?
Old 08-08-2003, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Fold AK heads-up?

incognito, feel like your being followed yet??? I think that you read the UTG right on this one. Reraising to get heads up was a good play as well. Since the flop missed you completely, I agree with the laydown as well.....this is starting to scare me, are you my long lost twin?!?
Old 08-08-2003, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Fold AK heads-up?

if he has a pair in hand (other than AA, KK, JJ, 77 or 22, obviously) you will still win a quarter of the pots

so you would break even (win 43 and lose 45) just by calling him down and not raising even if you hit a pair on the turn

if he has AK you will win 14

if he has FA you could win a bundle

a call on the flop would not be terrible in the long term but if you chose to make it you should be committed - it shouldn't be regarded as a case of taking one off