Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2003, 11:57 AM

Default Bet AQ into a preflop three-bettor?

Online $3/$6. I'm UTG+2 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The table is a bit tougher than I'd like it to be, but there are still a couple of calling stations that haven't busted out yet.

Folded to me, I raise, folded to the button who reraises, The button is new to the table and I don't know much about him, but I call, tentatively thinking big ace or pocket pair.

The flop comes 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet out, hoping to find out where I stand. He folds.

So, does anyone not bet the flop? If you don't bet the flop, how do you proceed?
Old 08-08-2003, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Bet AQ into a preflop three-bettor?

nice play [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]checkraise is not a good play IMHO, you don't put him to the test, and he might check behind and get a free card.Well done [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2003, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, does anyone not bet the flop? If you don't bet the flop, how do you proceed?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are either way ahead (with your opponent drawing at two outs) or way behind (with you drawing at three outs). Assuming your opponent will three-bet with at a minimum JJ/AK, there are 15 ways you are behind and 15 ways you are behind. You don't want to bet and give your opponent an opportunity to fold when he is drawing very thin, nor do you want to check-fold since calling down is +EV since you're around 50/50 to take it down. Thus, you should check-call the flop and turn. Now, what should you do on the river? If you check, it will certainly be with the intention of calling a bet, but the problem is that your opponent will only bet with hands that beat yours. So, you should bet yourself since he will call with hands that beat you, plus those that you beat.

In summary, check-call the flop and turn and bet the river.

-- Homer
Old 08-08-2003, 12:42 PM

So, does anyone not bet the flop? If you don't bet the flop, how do you proceed

I like the bet on the flop. If he has Kings or Jacks he might call. If he has Aces or AK he might raise or smooth call.

Even if you had wired Kings, I think betting in that spot is a good maneuver.

He could have attempted to isolate with a hand like 99.

I agree with the play

Michael
Old 08-08-2003, 12:51 PM

I don't like the bet. You say you want to find out where you stand, so what are you going to do if he raises? Fold? Nope, you are just going to pay him off, right? You are going to get pounded by a better hand, and a worse hand will often fold (as you found out).

I'd often check call and bet the river as Homer suggested.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:25 PM

Default question JTG and Homer.......

what's your play if an overcard hits the turn? ( the card I'm refering to is obviously the K)
Old 08-08-2003, 01:29 PM

I'd often check call and bet the river as Homer suggested.

Wow, that does sound weak tight. I really would come out swinging there.

What flop would you hope for with AQ than the one that the poster had?

I think the question then becomes, what will this player three bet with. If he will only three bet with AA KK or AK then ok..however he has the button and he could be three betting with many hands.

Just my opinion but I play tight aggressive

Michael
Old 08-08-2003, 01:37 PM

Wow, that does sound weak tight. I really would come out swinging there.

I think you misunderstood the idea. I'm not checking and calling because I'm worried I'm behind (although that's very possible, and maybe likely). I'm checking and calling because that will often make me the most when I'm ahead and cost me the least when I'm behind.

however he has the button and he could be three betting with many hands.

Betting is very bad if it causes the button to fold the hands that are drawing very thin, like underpairs or worse yet something like KQ, but that he would have bet with.

Basically, the only way you are gonig to get much action on this flop when you bet is if you are drawing very thin.

Look at a slightly different example. You have AQ and open raise from EP. Everyone folds to the BB who 3-bets. Now you get the same flop (A 8 7 rainbow). He bets. Are you still going to come out swining and raise? I hope not.

The play is a little tougher since you don't have position in incognito's hand, but I still think checking and calling till the river gives you the best chance to collect 1 bet on each street when you are ahead while only losing 1 bet on each street when you are behind.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:38 PM

Default Re: question JTG and Homer.......

The only way the K changes anything is if your opponent has exactly KK, which isn't very likely once the K falls. So, I'd stick with the same plan.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:44 PM

I think you misunderstood the idea. I'm not checking and calling because I'm worried I'm behind (although that's very possible, and maybe likely). I'm checking and calling because that will often make me the most when I'm ahead and cost me the least when I'm behind

That makes sence. I see your logic. You can also induce your opponent to bluff with lesser hands like JJ AJ 1010 KK

Michael