Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2003, 10:06 AM

Default 44s

I got dealt 44 in various positions at least 3 times in less than an hr. What Im wondering is in a 10handed game that is somewhat loose/agg when do I call preflop and when do I fold. Would you fold these if someone before you raises preflop? Are 44s one of those hands you would see to the flop for the set chance all the time or just in certain situations. Anyway any thoughts on this hand would be greatly appreciated. I didnt flop a set on any of those and basically folded after the flop, but I had to pay 2 preflop twice to see the flop.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:36 AM

Default Re: 44s

I would fold pockets 4's about 80/90% in early position preflop. The table would have to be extremely loose/passive for this to be anywhere close to positive EV. That having been said, I will sometimes limp behind four or more callers at a 9/10 player table, once again considering the players yet to act after me.(don't really want to play low pocket pairs for two or more bets)You want to flop the set; when you don't see it (your about 8/1 against) it is an easy fold on the flop unless the board smacks you in the face which is rare. Knowing that you will only hit a set one out of eight times, and usually make good money when you do, makes this a "hit or miss" scenario. Do not pay 2 preflop, unless you want to slowly lose all your chips.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:47 AM

Default How to play small pairs

Early position - UTG and UTG+1

First in - Fold unless the game is generally loose and passive before the flop. You don't want to routinely be paying multiple bets to see the flop with small pocket pairs. To limp from early position, you have to be fairly certain that the pot won't be raised behind you AND that it will be contested multiway.

After a limp - Usually limp behind, unless the game is very aggressive.

After a raise - Always fold.

Middle position - Next three positions

First in - Fold most of the time since it is unlikely that the pot will be contested multiway. In very loose and passive games you can still open-limp, but in most games you should fold. It might seem counterintuitive that it could be okay to open-limp from UTG but not from middle position, but really it isn't since if it is folded to you in middle position it is very unlikely that you will get the multiway pot you need since multiple players have already folded. If the blinds are very tight and/or are very straight-forward postflop, you can consider raising from 2-3 off the button.

After a limp - After multiple limpers, always limp. After only one limper, usually limp unless the game is very tight or very aggressive.

After a raise - Almost always fold. The only time you might be able to call is if you are in LMP, UTG raises and the next three players coldcall. If you are going to play a small pair for two bets, you want to be in late position AND have many players in the pot since your implied odds have been shot, and you need more players to collect from to compensate.

Late position - Cutoff and button

First in - Almost always raise or fold. I tend to fold if raising has no chance to steal the blinds. If I think I have even a small chance to steal the blinds or to take it down with a bet on the flop, I'll raise. The only time I'll limp is if the button and blinds are loose and passive before the flop and possibly willing to go off for many bets postflop.

After a limp - After multiple limpers, always limp. After a single limper, usually limp. You don't need as many opponents to play small pairs in low-limit games as is recommended in some poker literature. This is because low-limit players tend to be very loose postflop, so you can make up more in implied odds than you can in a higher limit game, and thus don't need as many opponents to make the hand playable.

After a raise - Usually fold. If there is a raise and 2-3 or more coldcallers to you go ahead and call. Use your best judgement to determine how likely it is that the blinds will call the additional bets and how many bets you are likely to collect postflop when you flop a set.

Big blind

After a limp - Check.

After a raise - Assuming the pot hasn't been raised and re-raised, you can call if there are at least two other players in the hand. If the pot has been raised and re-raised, fold unless you have at least 3-4 opponents. Again, consider how many bets your opponent(s) will go off for postflop. Specifically, consider the three-bettor, who likely has a high pocket pair.

Small blind

After a limp - Always complete for 1/2 bet.

After a raise - Use the same standards you would for calling two cold from late position.

-- Homer
Old 08-08-2003, 01:36 PM

Default Re: How to play small pairs

thx homer
Old 08-08-2003, 02:08 PM

do you do work for propoker?
Old 08-08-2003, 02:15 PM

do you do work for propoker?

Come on Mike, I know my post was bad -- but was it really THAT bad?!

-- Homer
Old 08-08-2003, 02:38 PM

no, no, not at all!

it's just i thought if you could break that down into bits and bytes you could have a nice little earner going
Old 08-08-2003, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Small blind

After a limp - Always complete for 1/2 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

With one limper I'd be inclined to raise a small pair to get it heads and/or to take control of the hand.