Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2003, 06:04 PM

Default JJ catastrophe? and 2 more

Typical weak tight 4/8 game.

Im in M/LP with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and raise. 2 LP blinds call as well as the BB.

LP2 is a pretty bad dealer but probably better than most players and BB is an absolutely abysmal unthinking player.

Flop:

T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, I bet LP 1 folds LP 2 thinks for a while and calls.

At this point I figure I'm in the lead but what did the LP player have to think about? I thought he might try to put in a raise if I bet again on 4th st.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Okay, this is a farily innocuous card, we check to the LP player who bets and we both call, what would he bet here? A ten obviously but if he had a four I think there is a good chance he would check.

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB leads out. I figure being that its the only draw out there and either the LP or I would definately call he had to have it, or maybe a ten. I fold, LP calls.

Dealer shows 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB shows K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I'd be very interested to hear if you guys think this was a catastrophic weak-tight fold. The BB had to know he wasn't going to pick up the pot here as LP was almost a calling station and wouldnt throw anything away there.

If I may quote sklansky " An example occurs when bettor is sure he will be called is when he is up against a live one (the LP player) who is not capable of throwing his hand away. If you find yourself in a multi-way pot with this live one as well as another player, you should throw a mediocre hand away if a player still bets while the live one is still in the pot. since the bettor expects to get called you can elimate the possibility that he is bluffing and therefore dont have to keep him honest"

--sklansky on poker p. 60

Hand #2
K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in EP I raise 1st in. 2 players and BB call.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check planning to check raise, a player bets last player raises, I think for a bit and 3 bet. 1st player folds last player calls.

Turn T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet he calls

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check he checks it back. " I missed" he says as he shows the Ah

Hand #3 K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in BB

3 players limp, I check.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, LP bets I check-raise 1st player folds 2nd player cold calls, bettor calls.

Turn: Ts

I bet, call, call

River: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, call from last player who shows

K4