Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2003, 02:57 AM

Default did i wimp out?

Well Im down at my 2-4 game in hawiian gardens but this time my father decided to sit down at my table and see how I play. He plays 20-40 to 50-100 and does pretty well for himself, so i value his opinion, but we disagreed on the following hand. I hold A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button in a very loose game as usual and limp in with 7 players. The flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] the small blind leads out (he led out on most hands he played in from early position) 5 callers to me and I raise the loose agressive player. he calls as well as 2 others. turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Everyone checks to me and I also check (questionable?) the river brings 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] The small blind checks BB bets MP raises all in for 3 more dollars and here is where we disagree, while im thinking the small blind calls both bets and turns over his hand before i acted on my turn(A 3) the BB is reaching for 3 more chips to call the raise (believe me he wasnt acting)and i folded my top pair weak kicker. My father said at the point the man who called 2 bets cold and showed his hand I should've raised (he didnt know my cards till after we dicussed the hand) I would've won the hand the BB showed down A8 to take the pot. your suggestions would be appreciated on how badly I played the hand or did I make the right decicion? ...thanks
Old 07-30-2003, 03:13 AM

Default Re: did i wimp out?

I dont see how a hand that you thought was worth a check on the tuen was strong enough to call 2 on the river. I think you wussed on the turn big time.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:01 AM

First off I think your dad is right. Second I think you could have played this a little differently.
Pre-flop: FOLD
Flop: FOLD
Turn: BET, If you raised the flop if it's checked to you BET.
RIVER: Call those bets.

If your dad actually plays 50-100 well I have a hard time believing he though your play on the other streets were acceptable.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:58 AM

You dad was right.

Preflop: Fold.

Flop: Nice raise.

Turn: Why check? BET!

Peace,
Larry Joe
Old 07-30-2003, 08:17 AM

If you are so concerned that your kicker stinks, then don't play A-9o in a multiway pot.

Somebody else asked about playing A-9o in another post, which you may want to check out.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:27 AM

Fold on the flop? I fold PF but once i'm in and hit the ace, i'm raising the flop.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:31 PM

Oops your right. I meant FINE. I got all fold happy.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:59 PM

Cardjunky,
What's up with the autoshuffler at HG? That bugs the s**t out of me. Anyway, I respect your father's advice but at the same time disagree. I feel a raise on the river by you would not have the same effect as a 20 or 50 game. In those games, a raise may well knock everyone out, but in a 2-4 game, you'll just lose more money because no one would fold. He wanted you to go headsup with the all-in guy, right?
More importantly, what was you reason for the raise on the flop? Undoubtedly, they would all "check to the raiser" on the turn, which you definitely should have bet. I would have done the same thing as you, but the reason would have been to gain control of the betting, and to get a free showdown on the river. The turn card was a blank! You may of won the pot outright on the turn, or gone headsup with the eventual winner A-8.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:41 PM

thanks for the advise everyone, I believe my two major mistakes were pre-flop and the turn like some of you pointed out.Thanks once again.