Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2003, 02:08 PM

Default A5o

Short handed NL tourney, 4 handed. Blinds 1-2 I have about 85-90 in chips, LA player has probably 110 CO (loose aggressive opponent calls) button folds, SB folds. I look down to see A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check to LA player who bets 5. I call.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Now for the master plan, I had played a number of heads-up freeze outs with this player and I had been doing a lot of slowplaying as he was continually bluffing off his money. I knew he didn't have an ace, or if he did I was soon going to find out with this bet. What was peculiar about this bet is that what was starting to happen was that he would bet the flop and then check the turn and call the river. Well, I decided to mix it up and bet the turn as I didn't want to give a free card and I knew it would cause my opponent to misread my hand.

I bet 10

He pauses and says, "You must not have anything because you always check your good hands to me. I call."

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check hoping to induce a bluff, he bets 20. I should have known this was a value bet as I am feared and he knows I'm more than capable of checking a good hand to him and then popping him for a lot more so he'd be more than likely to check it down with something I could beat, so I think this was undoubtedly a mistake on my part

I call and he shows 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

So my plan worked prefectly except for my unluckiness and marginal call on the river.

Any comments more than welcome

Joe
Old 07-28-2003, 02:26 PM

Default Re: A5o

In theory it looks great, the only problem seems to be that youve made this move standard against him (and he was nice enough to let you know it). Id say that from now on you should change it up a bit aginst this opponent, but this was a sound call considering his comment
Old 07-28-2003, 02:40 PM

Ooops...missed the trips. Good set-up, good play, bad luck.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:02 PM

His post was all about using his opponents knowledge of his play against him by changing his plan (his opponent thought he had nothing when he bet the turn, when in fact he had top pair). I think you must have misread the post.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:50 PM

I don't understand why he didn't raise you on the turn if he didn't think you had anything. I guess he wasn't sure.

He could have bet with a busted draw at the river, so I don't think you could know your call was a mistake.

Nice play on the turn, especially given you had very little time to figure out what to do.