Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2003, 09:59 PM

Default Critique these hands in no-limit tourney.

I just started playing poker about 6 months ago by joining a local Texas Holdem home game (each player takes turns hosting the game). It's tornament style Holdem, $30 buy-in gets you 150 in chips. 8 players with payouts going to the top 4 finishers. Stakes start at $2-$4 and gradually increases to $20 - no-limit by the end of the night.

Last night I found my self heads up in the no-limit portion of the tournament (everyone else had been knocked out) against one of the more experienced players in our group and he has a two-to-one chip lead over me (about 800 - 400). He was effectively using his stack to bully me by making it 70 to go on just about every hand. I wasn't able to catch any monster pre-flop hands, the blinds were bleading me, and he wasn't letting me see any cheap flops. With all that in mind, I'd like some feedback on these two hands:

1) Current chip count is about 900-300:
I have 6h, 4h - he's first and he makes it 70 to go - I call.

flop comes:
As, 6c, 3h - he bets 50 - I contemplate what to do and eventually go all-in. I decided that a pair in heads up is pretty good, I have a runner-runner draw for a straight, flush and straight flush, plus I was hoping to "represent" a pocket Ace.

He folds - I obviously don't know what he had.

2) Chip count is now around 850 - 350:
I have k,2 off-suit - I'm first and I make it 70 to go - he calls.

flop comes:
Q, 9, 2 rainbow - I bet 100 (in hinds sight this was probably a mistake) - he raises 100 - I think about it and again go all in. A call isn't an option because that will only leave me with 80 - so it's either all-in or fold. I figured at least I had a pair and an over-card to the board if he already had a pair.

We flip our cards over since there can be no more betting and he has J, 10 offsuit. So he needs a king or 8 to beat me.

Turn: blank

River: 8 of clubs - I'm out, but 2nd place isn't too bad considering my lack of experience.

Any feedback on my play in these hands is appreciated. BTW I'm a newbie to the site - I hope this is the correct forum for this question.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Critique these hands in no-limit tourney.

1) Current chip count is about 900-300:
I have 6h, 4h - he's first and he makes it 70 to go - I call.

-- Yuck! Calling away nearly 25% of your stack with 64s is a loosing proposition. Surely you could pick a better hand to make this call (almost anything would be). Typically you want to call a raise with suited connectors *not 1 gappers* when it is less than 10% of your stack.

2) Chip count is now around 850 - 350:
I have k,2 off-suit - I'm first and I make it 70 to go - he calls.

--Obviously you were making a play at the blinds here but you got called out-of-position. Yikes. I think you have to be him on some reasonably high cards at this point, as that is a huge raise for someone on your size stack. Since you made yourself so committed to this pot with K2o, anything less than a pot sized bet on the flop will be grounds for him to push on you. Once he raises you, you are pretty much in this hand for the long haul, but you could have, stopped the bleeding here by rasising a smaller amount pre-flop then checking or betting the flop.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:28 AM

Post actually belongs in the Tournament Forum, but that's fine.
What were the Blind sizes in the NO-Limit portion of the tourney?
Old 07-27-2003, 07:41 AM

What were the Blind sizes in the NO-Limit portion of the tourney?

10 & 20
Old 07-27-2003, 04:06 PM

what is the payout structure?