Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2003, 04:42 AM

Default Fur Coat Laydown?

Im playing 4-8 extremely loose passive live game. Im dealt 88 in MP. Folded to me and I open raise. (Ive been playing very tight and thought I would get some respect with an open raise). Folded to the button who calls and SB 3 bets. (Ive been at the table for over an hour and havent seen this guy raise preflop at all. I can only see this guy three bet in this position eith AA,KK, or possibly AK). I call hoping to hit my set, and if not probably fold to a bet. Flop comes A83 rainbow. SB bets, I raise, button folds, SB reraises, I call. (Should I fold or 4 bet here?) Turn is a K. SB bets, I raise (for some reason I really think he has AK), SB three bets, I just call. River is a K. SB bets. I think for a few seconds and fold. As I muck I am mentally kicking myself, but I was 95% percent certain I was beat. I'm not a fan of big laydowns, especially on the river, but this seemed like the right play at the time. Let the flaming begin.

Thanks for any comments,
arod
Old 07-24-2003, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Fur Coat Laydown?

This is a huge pot you have to call the river.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:45 AM

As I muck I am mentally kicking myself, but I was 95% percent certain I was beat.

Good fold if you were 95% sure. Now, if you were only 93% sure, then you have some explaining to do.

-- Homer
Old 07-24-2003, 06:31 AM

I played two tables of Party tonight and went for an hour and a half stretch without anything close to a raising hand on one table. Maybe you can draw some reasonable conclusions based on the short term, but this is not enough time to be sure your opponent doesn't have AQs or something else. At least, 95% sure.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:41 AM

I think for 1 bet I have to call the river, it is just to big of a pot.

baseball38 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2003, 10:05 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

if youre kicking yourself, you shouldve called. maybe you weren't as sure about this player as you thought...

with a board of A 8 3 K K

and a player this tight and predictable, id say your fold is ok. but given youre remorse, that may lean towards calling.

there are players ive played against where i could lay this down and not have a problem with. you just have to be very sure of your read.

of course, then they flip up pocket 6s and take the pot [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

b
Old 07-24-2003, 05:52 PM

Arod,
Not much could have been done different than the way you played it. I think we all would have done the exact same thing, except I would have called the river for one bet. Even if you're 95% sure you were beaten, mainly for your read on the guy from the past, you have to show the table you will not get muscled out on the river. You have a full house! Suck it up and call.