Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2003, 04:39 AM

Default River action - Bet out or checkraise?

Party 3/6. I'm dealt T [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] in the SB.

UTG, CO and button limp, I complete, BB raises and we all call. Five to the flop for two bets each.

Flop - 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

I check, BB bets, UTG calls, CO raises, button and I coldcall, BB reraises, UTG caps and we all call. Five to the turn -- 15 BB's in the pot.

Turn - 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

I check, BB bets, UTG raises, CO coldcalls, button folds, I coldcall and BB calls.

River - 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

I bet and all three opponents call.

The Big Question - Do you bet out on the river and go for two guaranteed calls (from BB's overpair and UTG's set) or do you check and hope that UTG bets, allowing you to checkraise?

I figured checking was better since it could get checked through (I mean, these people are rather slow, but it was pretty obvious I made a flush on the river) and if UTG did bet BB would probably lay down his overpair to my CR.

Anybody think checkraising is a better play?

-- Homer
Old 07-24-2003, 04:53 AM

Default Re: River action - Bet out or checkraise?

I would bet out here too once the third suit comes it is to likely that someone will get scared and not bet. Especially in multiway pots unless someone else hits the flush. If that is the case a check raise is probably going to cost you 3 bets instead of 2 if your flush is beat.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:12 AM

I suppose I should have mentioned this, but I definitely was not concerned about another player having a larger flush on the river. UTG's call-reraise on the flop and turn bet made me pretty sure that he had a set. Also, It seemed fairly clear that BB had an overpair. Lastly, CO was a fish, so he could have had a wide range of hands (turned out that he had 65o for a rivered straight).

-- Homer
Old 07-24-2003, 06:55 AM

I think folding preflop is the better play, and if you don't fold preflop I couldn't possibly stay with a capped flop bet.

baseball38 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2003, 08:02 AM

...I couldn't possibly stay with a capped flop bet.

Huh? He's got a flush draw, dude. Where's he going?
Old 07-24-2003, 08:10 AM

*Shrug* I usually just bet out in this spot. Every time I say to myself, "I know what he's got, and he basically has to bet the river with a hand that good," he always ends up checking because most people are river wusses.

Not quite the same situation, but I was disappointed when my opponent failed to bet the river for me in this spot tonight. I had A8o in the BB and it was like 7-handed. Flop was AA4r. I bet, everyone folded to this dude who raised. Folded to me and I called. Turn was an 8. I bet, he called. River was like a 3. I checked... I knew the guy had the case Ace, and I just assumed that my check would tell him, "just kidding, I had a pocket pair, your Ace is good." But apparently no one faxed him the message. Check... thank you, the nuts are good... send the pot, two bets lighter than it should be, to me please.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:54 AM

Preflop: muck it!

River: good bet - you are sure at least 2 will call and if you checked and the CO ended up doing the betting, a c/r might just earn you 1 bet.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:57 AM

4 way cap on a 4 flush draw - he's making money everytime these clowns put a chip in the middle!
Old 07-24-2003, 09:06 AM

Hey Homer--

Nicely played.

I wouldn't have completed preflop, but I trust your judgment on this type of hand.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:10 AM

4 way cap on a 4 flush draw - he's making money everytime these clowns put a chip in the middle!

Agreed, but remember... this was a draw to the 5th nut flush.