Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2003, 12:07 AM

Default KK hand in a play any A game

Micro-limit on-line with a lot of players playing pretty much any Ace. It is also fairly passive, not a lot of raising.

I am in BB with K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] , 4 limpers to me (Sb folded), I raise, everyone calls.

Flop: A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

I don't like the A of course, but I bet out to see what would happen, one fold, then the next player raises, the next 2 cold call, and it's back to me. I folded.

Unfortunately the hand was never shown down, but the player who raised me on the flop was fairly tight but I had seen few raises from them. It is possible they were raising a flush draw but I thought that unlikely. With that many callers after the raise, was my fold justified?
Old 07-19-2003, 07:12 AM

Default Re: KK hand in a play any A game

Well you are getting about 17:1 on your call. Don't know if the implied odds would bring it up enough for a call to draw for the set or not. But in those micro limits, I would suspect the raiser could have an A or flush draw. The other limpers may be looking for any runner-runner to make a hand. I believe I would have called to see if I could have hit the set. If the turn didn't complete the flush draw, I may have bet and folded to a raise. Hope you get some answers from better players than me.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:23 PM

You might want to check this out:

http://www.poker1.com/mcu/tables/Table24.asp
Old 07-19-2003, 03:39 PM

Easy fold....look at it this way....if you had the Ace and KK called your raises and sucked out a set you would think it was a miracle right?
Old 07-19-2003, 07:03 PM

rayrns is sort of right. Lets say you SEE the ace in his hand. You are getting 17:1 for your 22:1 draw. If you check-raise the turn against 2 opponents and the A pays you off, you can expect 6sb more in "implied odds", giving you 23:1 for your draw; more than the 22:1 you need.

Unfortunately this does NOT take into account the fact that you may hit your K and lose. The Ace may pair on the end filling someone up (unlikely), but more likely [1] someone has a flush draw which gives you only 1 King out, [2] you snag that Ks but the flush gets there on the river, or [3] you snag the Kh and someone back-doors a flush.

Unless you can get LOTS of money with trip Kings on later streets, it just doesn't add up if you know your Ks are no good.

But what if nobody has an Ace? You can call if that somewhat possible, so long as everyone will check the turn if so. No sense in calling the flop if your going to throw it away on the turn when they bet their draws again.

- Louie