Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Simple but confused with AK

5-handed

Completely unknown player who just sat down one orbit ago raises UTG. LAG coldcalls in the CO. I 3-bet AdKd on the button. Blinds fold. Unknown caps it. Lag calls 2 again. I call.

Flop: 8s8h3d

Unknown Bets, Lag calls, I call?

Turn: 9c

Unknown bets, Lag folds, I fold?

1. Is this standard against a completely unknown? Should I have raised the flop?

2. What if the Unknown was a Lag aswell?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Simple but confused with AK

what limits?

Most capping ranges in early > AK
Old 12-12-2005, 12:54 PM

3-6
Old 12-12-2005, 12:59 PM

This is tough without any read at all. I may call down as there's a chance A) we're ahead/splitting or B) we'll improve to best hand. It will also be nice to look hiim up here.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:01 PM

I like your line. Raising the flop is probably going to get you 3-bet here, even if you're tying or beating the unknown. If he's a LAG I think we have to call this down, though.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:14 PM

Pot's massive. I don't think calling the hand down here is awful.

Pot is 9.25BB's to you on the turn HU, so effective odds to call down are 10.25:2. If our AK is ahead 1 time in 5 then we profit. We don't need to even be ahead that often though as we probably have 3 or 6 outs here to improve.

I think a call down is profitable, and gives us some information on the unknown to top it off.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:42 PM

I think we are raising or folding this flop vs an unknown. He's likely to have a PP which leans me towards folding. I guess a peel isn't bad with our backdoor draw. I don't understand how an unknown can be a LAG--he is unknown. I guess a LAG by stats and no other reads. I have noticed a lot of LAGs do the obligatory pre-flop cap with total junk like Ax. It's [censored] up. This makes me want to get to showdown. So I guess post-flop, I'd be /call/call/call/.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:50 PM

OK scratch my original advice, I agree with Krimson. A call down is good. Pot is big and we're good at least 20 % of the time here.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we are raising or folding this flop vs an unknown. He's likely to have a PP which leans me towards folding. I guess a peel isn't bad with our backdoor draw. I don't understand how an unknown can be a LAG--he is unknown. I guess a LAG by stats and no other reads. I have noticed a lot of LAGs do the obligatory pre-flop cap with total junk like Ax. It's [censored] up. This makes me want to get to showdown. So I guess post-flop, I'd be /call/call/call/.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Folding on the flop would be really bad since were closing the action. Esp with our backdoor draw.

2. I didnt say (at least didnt mean to say) the unknown was LAG. The second part was hypothetical... Like how would my play differ if he was a LAG. I asked this because as the session went on I could tell he was very laggish. However when this hand came up I had no idea.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:32 PM

If villain turns over KK after he bets the flop I still call. Folding this flop is pretty crazy @ 14:1 with up to 7.5 outs (although more likely 4-5)..