Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 10:10 AM

Default River raise/isolation play

The Small blind is a 90/23/30 and a complete retard. i'm fairly sure CO has some kind of king but easily goes into his shell.

Good/Bad/Ugly?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, CO checks.

River: (8.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>,
Old 12-08-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: River raise/isolation play

I don't think that I like it. The 6spades is not a particularly scary card for anyone. What exactly are we trying to represent that we hit (trip 6s)? I doubt that any king is folding and if the lagtard sb 3bets then what. Other than the river, I don't mind any of the other streets.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:22 AM

I call because im confused.

So co took a freecard on us, A4 with cheap SD? OESD?

then SB bets into us, I'm calling as CO is to act after us and MP and we may not beat the original better(SB) anyhow. Overcalls i want i think oh and getting 3bet sucks.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm fairly sure CO has some kind of king but easily goes into his shell.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not enough to make me fold my queens, but it is enough to stop me from raising. Even a guy who goes into his shell is unlikely to fold top pair after everyone checked through the turn.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:32 AM

i'm fairly positive that the sb is just betting as he believes he will pick up the pot after it was checked through on the turn. I was assuming the CO isn't really a thinking player and will simply see the 2 cold to him as a sign saying ur K is no good, fold.

The small blind is rarely 3-betting me here on the river and i'm folding if he does or if there is any other action from the later positions.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:45 AM

Heres why i go for overcalls and don't like your raise.

SB could have us beat,
Co could have us beat(And most likly wont fold a winning hand) where as for 1bet he may call a losing hand,
You pay less when behind(Raising and being 3bet = you fold and you've lost your investment),
You get to see showdown cheaper anyhow and get more info on your opponents.

Basically i want to lose less when behind but gain more when ahead, and sure oyu may say "We dont want overcalls because the overcallers may have us beat" but do you really think the overcallers will often fold a winning hand? Im not confident.

Anyway i dont put CO on a king, he checked through the turn last to act... he's a goof if he does.

So many reasons, i think you want overcalls.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:00 AM

i think all of the above is completely correct for play against unkowns, but i felt in this hand the conditions were right to make this move as i had, had about 400 hands on both players and felt i read there play pretty well.

Ultimately the MP+CO folded and the sb called, who then flipped over 52 for the 2nd nut str8.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:01 AM

I figure that's what you're thinking. I just don't think that about CO. You're probably right about SB, but he looks nutty enough to call a raise with 75s and he's betting for the first time. If CO does have a king, why is he going to fold top pair- -even for two cold? He has to believe that you raised something UTG that got a lot of help from the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], or that you wiffed a turn cr. The latter is a possibility, but most of these guys are going to think "I've got top pair. I'm gonna call." On this board, they'd happen to be right.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:18 AM

Judging by his numbers, you're beating SB a good majority of the time. I don't think we can expect a big difference in value between raising or going for overcalls, since each probably gets us around 1BB when we're ahead.
So I think it really depends on your read of CO. If you're fairly confident he can fold a king, then go for the raise. If you're not sure or just kinda sure I would call. My default play against an unknown at this level would be to assume he'll CC with a king most of the time, and I'd just call.