Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2003, 05:12 PM

Default Are poker players smart?

If you took the average IQ of a 5:10 players and then 10:20 etc on up through the limits would you expect to see a strong positive correlation with IQ?
Old 07-10-2003, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Are poker players smart?

I'm not sure about IQ. But there would probably be very strong correlation with EQ, especially if you limit your subjects to winning players rather than all players.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:04 PM

Default WTF is EQ?

Old 07-10-2003, 08:38 PM

Doubtful, but possible. Really smart people tend to get bored with poker, as far as I can tell. Plus, poker smarts are not the same as IQ smarts.

~D
Old 07-10-2003, 09:10 PM

Default EQ - Emotional Quotient

EQ is more commonly known as "Emotional Intelligence" -a term popularized by Daniel Goleman, PhD., of Harvard. It is a set of five abilities:

1. Knowing one's emotions (as they happen).

2. Managing emotions.

3. Motivating oneself.

4. Recognizing emotions in others.

5. Handling relationships.

"Emotional Intelligence" increases in importance the higher we go up in limits because the higher the limits, the higher the stakes, the tougher the opponents, the higher the stress, thus putting a premium on the ability to be aware of and manage one's emotions. You mention "boredom" in your post. Boredom is really a sign of inability to motivate oneself. It's one of many negative emotions that prevent smart players from "playing their best game always". Remember, the world's top 100 players are very close in their playing abilities. A higher EQ will make the difference between any two people with equal skills, experience, expertise and talent.

At the very high limits, games tend to be shorthanded. Also, most "big bet" games are played high. This puts a premium on the EQ ability to "recognize emotions in others", not just merely analyze "betting patterns".

Finally, it is common knowledge that high-stakes pros go broke every now and then. That's when the EQ ability to "handle relationships" (with backers) can come in handy. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2003, 12:02 AM

Roy Cook said in a recent article that very smart people are at a disadvantage because they get bored.

I seem to find a large number of accountants, math teachers, general teachers, engineers, general business men and women, etc. playing....

I usually see I guy playing at the LL stud table on weekends that has two doctorates. He's very good too.

On the other side there are those who I don't think could play blackjack because they can't add to 21. They throw away hands because they were going for a flush and got a pair or a straight draw instead.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:16 PM

Default Re: EQ - Emotional Quotient

Jedi, I was headed in the same direction, but would not have been able to say it so eloquently. (lower IQ? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )I don't feel that there is a variance in the IQ quotient in regards to the limits, it is more how the player deals with emotion/stress. It doesn't take a genius to know the odds of hitting a four outer on the river, flopping a set, etc...it is how you process the emotional "tells" of others while remaining in control of your own. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2003, 04:51 PM

My guess is you would find a correlation with IQ. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the best players had IQs over 130 and you would find more of these players at the higher limits.

Yes, I know there are a lot of smart people who play at the low limits as well.

However, I don't think IQ is the most important factor for success in life.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:45 AM

I don't know about poker players in general, but I think 2+2 posters are a pretty bright group.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:09 PM

Warren:

There is no doubt a correlation with IQ as you move up the poker limits but the reason is not what you are thinking. There is a general correlation between income and IQ - ie. people who make more money tend to have higher IQs - in fact there is alot being written that in our higher tech society this is increasingly becoming the case. The recreational players at higher limits tend to be professionals who can afford to play at those limits - thus you would find higher IQs on average.

There is no doubt in my mind that being "smart" is better than being "dumb" when it comes to being a successful poker player. If you look at many of the names in poker you can see that they are quite bright and often more in the math/technical area. However, there are other skills beside being smart in a traditional way that affect poker success.

As a general rule I would say being well above average is a necessary but not sufficient condition to be successful at the higher limits.

Sorry if this sounds too academic - some of us have other aspects to our lives.