Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 06:28 AM

Default Too aggressive HU?

UTG is loose. Been taking alot of flops and calling. Isn't this standard?
Thanks.

$0.25/$0.5
Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (5.20 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 7.20 BB
Old 12-05-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Too aggressive HU?

Since he's a calling station he could call with a strong hand, but since he's loose I would'nt be afraid that he's hand would be stronger than A9, so i would have raised PF.The check-raise worked out for you, but i would bet on the flop, turn and river.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:12 AM

I hate the flop check/raise. Bet the flop bet the turn bet the river and let the calling station do what he does best. What were your thoughts behind the flop c/r? Betting or check/calling are both far better than check/raising but really no reason to get cute here.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the flop check/raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-05-2005, 10:45 AM

Okay. So I should bet the flop but I thought I could induce a bluff. It would indeed be better to bet the flop because then you could maybe get some information out of the loose player (right?). If he raises back you could go from there (which he <font color="red">probably</font> would with a hand that I'm almost drawing dead).

Triple-edit :P :
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Okay. So I should bet the flop but I thought I could induce a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Save this play for aggressive players. You can't induce bluffs from calling stations. Just value bet them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah it was a bad play. Hell I need to improve my game! Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Save this play for aggressive players. You can't induce bluffs from calling stations. Just value bet them.

I think you're over-thinking this one. You have TP against a fish calling station. There's really no need to do anything fancy or probe for information or anything. Just bet all three streets and expect to get called by worse holdings. Totally routine.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're over-thinking this one. You have TP against a fish calling station. There's really no need to do anything fancy or probe for information or anything. Just bet all three streets and expect to get called by worse holdings. Totally routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

jrz is right, here, with one caveat: you're HU; if you're really hoping to induce a bluff, why try to get the extra bet on a cheap street? Check/call the flop, check/raise the turn, or even the river.

Know that if you use this play and post the hand, we'll jump all over you for FPS, however. That's just the way we are. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2005, 01:36 PM

Grunch:

Against a loose early limper, I would raise pre-flop. I like the c/r on the flop, and I'd play the turn and river just the same.

Edit: Clearly, after reading the responses, bet the flop against a calling station is better. I missed that, but then again that's why I'm still learning. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2005, 01:44 PM

bozlax, you are not a little afraid that a loose passive calling station could have a hand that beats you if he bets all three streets? How often do lp calling stations attempt to bluff people? I like the bet bet bet line, but you are asking for trouble using that line all the time oop. If I think I have UTG beat, I probably c/r that turn, if I think he might have me beat how's a c/c c/c bet line?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:12 PM

Grunch:

I'm not a fan of the flop c/r here. Bet instead. If villian raises, you know more. If villian is on a flush draw, he barely has the odds to call &amp; might fold.

I also bet the turn &amp; riv as long as he's being passive and hope that he doesn't improve and has the 6 or lower if he has an A . . .