Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2003, 04:19 PM

Default Ice water in my veins -- or a fridge too far?

Typical Party Poker $3-$6. At least I think it's typical: it's hard to be sure when I'm playing three games at once, finishing my dissertation and also smoking a lot of crystal meth. (At least, that's how it feels.)

The thing that happens:

I'm in the big blind with A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] . UTG raises -- obviously a steal attempt. UTG+1 reraises -- restealing. Clearly they're both on stone-cold bluffs.

Okay, maybe they're not. But someone must have had some kind of read to that effect, because two players cold-call (I confess it seemed like more at the time), four players fold, and it's up to me. I call. (Cf. inter alia Sklansky, Malmuth, et al., "Implied Odds and the Rise of the Nation-State"; Seed, H., ed. "Kicker Trouble: Myth and Mystery"; Sachs, O., Mayo, G., et al., "The Effect of Methamphetamines on Hypothalamic Function in the Common Snail Darter.") UTG declines to cap.

Flop: 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] .

I check. (Comments? [just kidding].)

So yes, I check with the intention of folding. You probably would have too. But then a funny thing happens down in Hoo-ville.

All the Hoos should be betting. Right?-- betting's their game. They bet and they miss and they bet just the same. But passively each one deferred to the next. Not one of them spoke (unless you count "check"). They hadn't stopped a turn card from coming -- it came! I had nothing to call with, but it came just the same.

T [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] .

(end of pastiche)
As soon as I saw the second ten I bet out like lightning. Surely I've got xTs with a foiled check-raise? Who can call that didn't bet the flop? Clearly UTG can call if HE had a foiled check-raise with AA (and like most Party players would never fold AA) -- but then he would have capped preflop.
Comments on this play?

Miracle of miracles, UTG thinks and folds. 2UTG thinks and folds. 3UTG, the loosest passivest of them all (I'm proud of myself for foregoing the "Cat in the Hat" pastiche here), folds too.

The next guy, who is possibly the most reasonable player at the table, calls. What sort of invention is HE sitting on? Why wasn't it worth a preflop cap OR a flop bet last to act? (Surely ANY ten or boat would raise here with position heads-up.)
In any case the fact that he's a reasonable player makes me think he's got a plan -- which is two advantages he has over me this hand. The other is a better poker hand, unless I'm very much mistaken.

River: 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] . I bet.

Comments?

Old 07-10-2003, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Ice water in my veins -- or a fridge too far?

Comments?

Your writing style kicks ass and your playing style sucks ass.

Seriously though, preflop: even with the references, I would fold. Flop: played very well on your part. Turn: yes. River: no. You lost. Reasonable player had a mid PP that was strong enough to call 3 bets cold preflop(maybe 9 9, 10 10 or JJ?). Sorry, I think checking the river is best.

As far as hand reading goes, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he had quads.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:50 PM

Any other comments before I post the results?

Inthacup is the MVP of my day so far.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:00 PM

Default You are my new favorite poster... (or is that favorite new?)

Keep it coming... you rule.

As for the hand, I would have folded preflop. Your turn and river play is all yarbles... I like it.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:24 PM

Ah, poetry, beautiful post. Keep it up.

On to the hand...
Pre-session: Stay off the drugs.
Preflop: Bad call.
Turn: I like the gall of the bet, but oopps you got called.
River: Well, now you stuck, eh? did he reraise and flip over ATs or TT and take it away??
Old 07-10-2003, 06:30 PM

Pretty hopeless flop call. You need 2 spades to be in the hunt or 2 7s.

Otherwise, this sure looks like a reasonable time to bluff. The solid player probably has AQ.

- Louie
Old 07-10-2003, 06:31 PM

Ha! Do you suppose he'da checked the river last to act with AT?
And d'you suppose I'da called a river raise to SEE his TT? But maybe he woulda showed it anyway.
Would you believe ANY of these things if I said that I saw it on Mulberry Street?

No, he had 99. Next hand!

I count one vote for giving up after the turn and two for following through with a desperation-bet into a huge pot. I think given how big the pot is and how drawless the board is, I shoulda given up, especially given that the opponent is reasonable.

I wonder though if he bothered to put me on a hand or not. Probably not, which is a point against him in my book. "Reasonable but not solid," is my new player note for him. How's that for a subtle dissertation-style distinction?
Old 07-10-2003, 06:39 PM

Eh... your boy either has a medium pocket pair or a big Ace. A pocket pair is more likely, in which case he will call the river. A big Ace is possible, though... and he might lay it down if you fire the second barrel. I think the river bet is not totally hopeless... and since it isn't totally hopeless, eh... I give it a B+. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2003, 06:48 PM

Do you suppose he'da checked the river last to act with AT?

You bet the river, how could he check?

And d'you suppose I'da called a river raise to SEE his TT?

You called preflop. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But maybe he woulda showed it anyway.

Most people can't resist showing quads no matter what the action is...

Would you believe ANY of these things if I said that I saw it on Mulberry Street?

Well if you are the giant..., "...Volcano blowing hearts and diamonds & clubs...I saw a giant eight miles tall...who took the cards 52 in all...And this is a story that no one can beat...I saw it all happen on Mulberry Street." ('Mulberry Street' Dr. Seuss)

then YES

I count one vote for giving up after the turn and two for following through with a desperation-bet into a huge pot.

What about the votes about the preflop call, and the drugs?

How's that for a subtle dissertation-style distinction?

Ahhh, poetry...

Peace,
Larry Joe
Old 07-10-2003, 09:29 PM

Wow, what a post. I loved it even though all the big words gave me a headache.

You've got an easy fold preflop. The turn bet is pretty darn ballsy. Once you get to the river, you just have to bet. It would be a catastrophy to check and give the pot to an unimproved AK or AQ.