Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Not sure how to play this one

Villian just sat down, I'm assuming high cards or high pair.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, SB folds.

I donked figuring villain might fold with the scare card if he had nothing. Is this a time to let him bet his junk, if he has that, and not lose as much if he has a good hand?

River: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 12-01-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Not sure how to play this one

How do you only have 358 posts when it seems like you have 2,000? Must be the avatar.

Not sure if it's correct, but I'd play this the same on every street. The biggest question IMO is the flop.
I think checking the turn sucks because when you check/call he's value-betting you to death and when you check/fold, you just don't know if he'll bet AK without a read and who knows, he might fold AK with no diamonds. The downside is that lots of people will just call you down with a bigger PP, but that's something I'm willing to live with I guess.
River is standard.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian just sat down, I'm assuming high cards or high pair.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, SB folds.

I donked figuring villain might fold with the scare card if he had nothing. Is this a time to let him bet his junk, if he has that, and not lose as much if he has a good hand?

River: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the flop at all. Why are you calling? You have two outs to a set and 1.5 outs to a very weak backdoor flush draw. If you assume villian is decent, his UTG standards are probably AK-AQ, maybe AJs, KQ, TT-AA, maybe 99. The 99 is very unlikely since you have the other two 9s. The only other hands you're beating in this range are AK and AJ.

If you want to put villian to the test, I would bet out on the flop and see what his reaction is. But I think I just check/fold this flop against an unknown.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:45 AM

I wish I won money like I had 2000 posts. Yeah, he had TT with a diamond, thanks.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:40 AM

I never check/call this flop. Gets me no information. I either bet or c/r but usually bet to see the others reaction.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:00 AM

I 3-bet preflop, call a cap and then bet/fold the flop. Am I insane!?

If I just called preflop, I raise the flop.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:04 AM

yeah beset if that preflop action had occurred, the pot would be like 20 or something small bets when it got back to you raised. you would call with your set and backdoor straight outs.

as far as the way this hand was played - i can go with the way it was played, or with check raising the flop. i like both lines. i think there are benefits to each one. check raising means he folds overcards to our pair maybe now or on the turn. check calling and donking means we get a chance to see another card before we decide whether or not we are going to put in any more bets.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah beset if that preflop action had occurred, the pot would be like 20 or something small bets when it got back to you raised. you would call with your set and backdoor straight outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks dude.

Hey what do you think of 3-betting preflop?
Old 12-02-2005, 05:13 AM

i like it with TT but not with 88. 99 is like the border. i don't think it matters much. it makes their tendency to call the flop with any two more correct later (because the pot will be larger), but of course we get more money in with an equity edge. anyway, i don't 3-bet, but i know some people do.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:08 AM

I think I would have bet on the flop to try to protect my hand, hoping they would assume I held Qx at least.