Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2003, 05:30 PM

Default questions on a recent hand

Im a new player, read TOP and most of HPFAP, just started on Party Poker, only playing .5/1 limit until I feel like Im really putting my knowledge to work. I had some questions about a recent hand:

Ive got A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]
I call in EMP with 2 limpers in front and 4 behind plus the blinds(Is this correct--my table was very loose with between 5 and 7 seeing the flop every time and agressive betting with very little). SB calls and BB checks, the flop is 10 ways so Im thinking I got lucky and probably correctly called with my Axs. (thoughts on this, should I always be calling with Axs?)

Flop comes: 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] q [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

Im happy although a little afraid of the full house with so many in. Its checked to me and I bet. I get 4 callers, we see the turn 5 ways.

Turn comes Q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

Now I think I could be screwed. Any 3 or pair in the hole has me beat. It checked to me and I bet still with a flush draw, (but I also figure any A or 7 wins me the pot and theres a chance my A high will be good with that board. I figure I have 15 outs so about 1/3)

The River brings the 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Now I think I ve probably got this one bc of the passive playing. Its checked to me and I bet, both call and a pair of nines in the hole takes the pot.

Tear my play apart, I'm new and dying to learn more. I know this could possibly just be unlucky, but I fear not. Im especially interested to see if my Pre FLop and Flop play was correct. Any comments, sugggestions, advice is much appreciated. Thanks [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 06:20 PM

Default Re: questions on a recent hand

Generally, I would not play A7s in EMP especially if I expected a lot of raising preflop. It's a good hand multiway, but I prefer it in MLP.

It's always difficult to play a flush draw with a pair on the board. With this board it is less likely that someone flopped a full house. I think your bet here is fine although you could have ckecked to see were the strenght was.

Once the third queen falls it's just too easy for someone to have a full house. You need to check and fold. In this case it appears that someone has a full house but was afraid to bet it, so you will probably get a free show down anyway. But if someone bets, your best bet is to fold unless you think he's bluffing, and that the remaining will fold (because they don't have a full house).
Old 07-01-2003, 06:21 PM

Default Re: questions on a recent hand

In a loose game like that, A7s isn't a bad call. You definitely got the multi-player action that you expected. In a tighter game, I'd wait until LP to make that call.

I don't like your bet on the flop. I would either try to see it for free, or go for a check-raise. Getting a free-card is always good, but a check-raise here might also get you a free turn and might give you a better idea of where you're at. With 4 behind, there's a lot to be scared of. I'd lean towards the free card.

I don't like the turn bet or river bets either. It would be great if everyone folded, but how would you feel if someone called? You currently have nothing, and your most likely to hit hand probably wouldn't be good (although a river A would have been really nice!).

With that said, other than the river bet, I like your play if you're playing tougher opponents than what you'd find at a .50/$1 table. They just aren't wise enough to fold with garbage. Definitely give Lee Jones' book a read. It is much more applicable to really low-limit games.

Best of luck!