Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2005, 12:02 AM

Default A Question for Semi-Pros Out There

I'm a former full-timer due to circumstance (I graduated with an accounting degree right after Enron). Anyway, I've since (seems like eons ago) gotten a job and I play part-time (about 15 hours per week except for the accounting busy season).

I've noticed, however, some drawbacks to being semi-pro. For all the raving reviews of this lifestyle, there have been some considerable effects. First, the time issue is huge when it comes to balancing a career, poker, and your personal life (this is why I put the 15 hr per week quota on myself...no less, no more).

More importantly (and my reason for starting this thread), I've noticed that some days (that being today), I can't deal with games that put me in a lot of difficult decisions. This happens after a particularly tough day at work (such as today). After a light day at the office, I'm fine. After a tough day of stress and difficult thinking, I just can't do it, however. I would venture to say that I go from a decent winner to a modest loser.

Fortunately, I was able to recognize it when I went down 33BBs tonight. Not only was I not getting lucky, I realized that I was unable to process difficult decisions at the poker table. I quit for an hour and a half and came back and played for half an hour and made back 7 bets. Even so, a half hour in, I said to myself, "I just don't have it tonight," so I quit. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I didn't lose much, but I though I might ask for advice because if I never play tired, it is difficult to get my hours in...then again, what's the use in getting in all my hours if I lose during those hours. I'd be better off playing fewer hours (only when I'm fresh).

Do you think calling the girlfriend during a hard day at work (knowing I won't be fresh for the evening session) and giving her some "quality time" is the answer?

I could, of course, drink lots of caffeine. Then again, I would go to bed on time and I'd ruin the next day (both with the profession and with poker).