Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2003, 06:11 AM

Default Moron

I just played like a moron in a NLHE Pokerstars Tournament. The blinds are 50/100 and I have 4280 and am in LP.

Folded to me, I raise with AJs. One caller to my immediate left who started with 4000.

Flop Jc Ah 5s. I check. Turn Tc. I bet 500 get raised 1000, I go all-in. I lose to KQo.

I was pretty mad with myself about this. Feel free to lay into me!
Old 07-01-2003, 07:16 AM

Default Re: Moron

I don't think your opponent played it that well, he should have tried to keep you in the hand and flat called your 500.

However you should have flat called his 1000 and seen the next card and worked on a read - I get the impression you didn't think too much about their exact holding.

You were right to be involved in a big pot in this hand, you had top 2 pair and you can't play like the nuts are out there all the time, 2 pair is good more often than not on this board.

Jon
Old 07-01-2003, 07:46 AM

I thought to myself that maybe he had KQ but also that maybe he had other holdings like AT or JT or Ax clubs. I always put players on a range of hands instead of one specific one unless it is obvious.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:47 AM

If you look at the "book" to find out when slowplaying is correct, this ain't it. It's better to win a small pot than lose a big one. The flop is the time to go all in. If he calls, it's a bad beat, but at least you had the best of it by a mile when he calls.

al
Old 07-01-2003, 12:28 PM

I don't agree w/ checking the pot, but do you think all-in is appropriate? Poster didn't indicate how much he raised pre-flop, but you've only got 250 + 2xRaise. Lets say he raised to 400, then you've about 1050 in the pot. You suggest pushing in ~4000 to win 1050?
Old 07-01-2003, 12:56 PM

I thought the pot was bigger. Perhaps I was mistaken tho. If the pot WAS that small, all-in wasn't necessary. However, all-in does charge the draws the max, and gives them no implied odds, so if he did overbet the pot by 4x I wouldn't flame him over it. Better than giving a freebie or cheepie and getting beat.

al