Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Coaching?

Hey,
Im curious about what coaching exactly is? Could anyone explain it a bit more in depth for me?

Thanks
Chris
Old 11-21-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Coaching?

Dictionary.com followed by wikkipedia would be a good start.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dictionary.com followed by wikkipedia would be a good start.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he meant poker coaching. But yeah. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] is right.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:05 AM

yeah im just confused about poker coaching. I've read about players interested in it and don't really understand it. Maybe a better player helps a player who is looking to grow get better and point him in the right direction? Any idea?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:52 PM

It appears you're overthinking this.

A poker coach is just like a coach for any "sport". Someone who teaches another person.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:02 PM

So how would one get involved? Im asking all this because im a young player who really wants to get into serious poker before during and after college. What would it take to get into this area?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So how would one get involved? Im asking all this because im a young player who really wants to get into serious poker before during and after college. What would it take to get into this area?

[/ QUOTE ]

How much experience do you currently have? What game(s) are you looking to play? What are some of your goals for playing?

Answers to these questions may help others give you some feedback. There are people who give lessons to newcomers to the game. These lessons can be through constructive dialogue and one-on-one discussions (or) the "coach" can log-on and watch you play and give tips this way.

Hope this helps.

Greg H.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:14 PM

Yeah this helps alot. Are there people on this site that do it or do I look on other sites? Anybody have any names i can talk to that would be willing to help out a new player?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah this helps alot. Are there people on this site that do it or do I look on other sites? Anybody have any names i can talk to that would be willing to help out a new player?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are several players that have offered their services here. As I recall, Abdul taught, so did Joetall. Bob Ciaffone teaches (at www.pokercoach.us) and his rates are very reasonable. I also teach, but to be honest, I can't beat the $50 an hour he was charging last year (it may still be just $50/hour)- it's just not worth my time.

With Bob, he answers questions via email and phone - so you really have to know what you want to improve in (and he does not read hand histories).

There is a very good player (who's name suddenly escapes me - web page is something like tilt-free) and he charges $5000 for full coaching. This may sound like a lot, but how much is a good coach worth to you in a lifetime?

The thing is, so many people pay $10,000 a year for college, but don't want to pay a $1,000 or $2,000 for the opportunity to learn to support themselves by playing poker.

Good Luck. You can get a lot from books, but the practical knowledge that is gained by having somebody to bounce ideas and problems off is valuable, you just have to figure out how valuable.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 06:48 PM

Yeah unfortunately i don't have those funds right now... maybe when im a bit older. I'm a senior in high school [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]