Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 06:03 AM

Default I get openlimp-leaded by the SB, it gets messy.

SB is TAG(ish) 24/15/2 ASB of 35.

<font color="red"> Hero is BB with T6o, SB openlimps hero checks </font>

IMO, he probably has a pretty bad hand and is planning to lead any flop.

<font color="red"> flop: A K K
SB bets, hero raises, SB calls

turn: 3

SB checks, hero bets
</font>

is this standard (the flop raise is mandatory)? Should I be raising any 2 preflop? Should I be firing again on the turn?

I think he knows I know he doesn't have anything, and thinks I have nothing. Maybe he's scared of me calling a flop 3-bet so I can pick him off on the turn so he's trying to scare me with the flop call into checking behind on the turn so he can pick it up with a river bet. This confused me, and I tend to close my brain and click raise when I get confused.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:09 AM

Default Re: I get openlimp-leaded by the SB, it gets messy.

How this plays out is greatly affected by his willingness to go to showdown in the blinds on big boards like this. Also, how far he goes with bluffs or semi-bluffs is important too.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How this plays out is greatly affected by his willingness to go to showdown in the blinds on big boards like this. Also, how far he goes with bluffs or semi-bluffs is important too.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are all things I don't have a good read on. All I know is I have over 200 hands of tag stats on him, and he has been solid in the current session, without doing anything noteworthy that I saw. He is solidly aggro in steal/defense situations.

If I'm not too far out of line so far:

he paused for a bit and c/r'd the turn and I immediately 3bet. If he has an A or K or PP, his preflop limp would most likely have been a misclick. He might call down my turn bet with a Q or J, but would not c/r and then call down. Vomitous spewing?
Old 11-20-2005, 07:52 AM

I agree with your postmortem that you should have folded to the turn checkraise.

I find I usually deplete my stack making plays like this unless I am up against a big bluffer or guy who overplays his hands. Even then it's touch and go, and I often need a least a high card to win. Your read on this guy doesn't make him sound like one of those. Even if he's overplaying he probably has at least a Queen and your on pure air this hand.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:59 AM

I would call the flop and raise/bet the turn. it honestly looks scarier.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:10 AM

If you think SB is openlimping with crap, then you need to raise preflop so that you can take down flops like this. If you think he is capable of openlimp trickery then fold the flop.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:49 AM

Although you may currently be ahead, and you may get him to fold a better hand, I think you are investing too much here. You are trying to win 3 SB in a hand, and you realy should not feel comfortable if this gets to showdown. That means that you basically need him to fold. Since you both know that neither of you has anything, and you both know that you both know that, I think getting him to fold will be hard, and possibly too expensive. I would just give up on this one, and fold the flop. If you had something such as the nut Q kicker, I would be more inclined to play to win.

Folding may not be the best option, but it can't be that bad, and it also saves us from making major spewing mistakes like you might have done.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:10 PM

Folding the worse hand is underrated. You can't win every pot. Unless he has a history of taking shots at the flop, I just muck this.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:20 PM

At the time I didn't think this hand had anything to do with who had the best hand. I felt neither of us had a showdownable hand &gt;85% of the time, so this was a game of chicken.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:22 PM

This sounds best to me. I should have raised preflop, but the hand didn't click with me until the flop, when I realized he couldn't have anything.