Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A10s UtG
Fold 7 50.00%
Call 6 42.86%
Raise 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Risk taking in the Universe

Here's a Question for all of you risk takers out there....

Should we send out probes such as Voyager into the galaxy with directions on how to get to Earth ? If in a few hundred years we find a way to broadcast a big obvious Hello we are Here and these are the directions to get here ! to the whole Galaxy - should we do it ?

If you are a Central American Native in the year 1500 and a Spanish Galleon is on the Horizon do you send up smoke signals to tell them where you are ?

What we know about the distribution of life on the earth is that it is a struggle for survival. Predators and prey. Do we assume that life in the Universe is any different ? Anyone who can understand a broadcast hello message and get here is going to be way ahead of us in technology. So how risky would it be to say hello to the Universe ?

(I know TV signals are out there yes I saw Contact, I'm talking about deliberately sending out big obvious signals.)
Old 11-19-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Risk taking in the Universe

[ QUOTE ]
(I know TV signals are out there yes I saw Contact, I'm talking about deliberately sending out big obvious signals.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we can send anything any more obvious, really. It may be useful to send out a message such as: "We are a nice, civilized people, unlike the television images portray." But, if they are smart enough to get here, then they're smart enough to monitor us before letting us know they are t/here. I doubt they would want anything to do with us, actually. But they may appreciate our art, music, and such.. and so just watch from a distance.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:51 PM

just think about it the other way around... say we got a message from outer space that said, hey! we are here, living on the moon in some deep crater. do you think mankind would seek out these people and destroy them?
Old 11-19-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just think about it the other way around... say we got a message from outer space that said, hey! we are here, living on the moon in some deep crater. do you think mankind would seek out these people and exploit them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I think we would.

Stu
Old 11-19-2005, 10:47 PM

We probably wouldn't exploit or attack the aliens unless we started to run short on oil. Then we'd call them a terrorist threat and blow em away.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Should we send out probes such as Voyager into the galaxy with directions on how to get to Earth ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this post demonstrate that we could never do this?
Old 11-20-2005, 05:01 AM

I agree with Stu Pidasso. In our own history, whenever a more advanced civilization met with a less advanced civilization, the result was always conquest and exploitation. Now, an alien civilization may view the hurting of lesser lifeforms to be an abhorent thing. But be assured, that if we are visited by aliens from another planet, they will be MUCH advanced over us. And like King Leer said:
"As flies to wanton boys, are we to the gods; they kill us for their sport."