Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2003, 05:09 PM

Default Buy In

Just a quick question about recommended Buy In amounts. I usually play $3/$6 at Mirage, ad buy in for $100. But what's a standard Buy In for a $4/$8 game, or and $8/$16 game?

Is there any recommended amount in relation to the limits? (ie. 20x BB)
Old 06-27-2003, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Buy In

I recommend buying in for a minimum of 15 big bets ($90 in 3-6, $120 in 4-8, $240 in $8-16, etc.). *I* like to buy in for two racks in most games (25-33 big bets). Other players are intimidated by good players with lots of chips in front of them.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:07 PM

I have heard many agruments on this and still don't know what the correct answer is as far as ? x BB goes. I usually buy in for 20 x BB and depending on if there is a kill add an additional hundred or two. You don't not want to show up to the table and instatnly be short stacked and play from a postion of weakness. I usually buy in for $500 on a $10/20 with a half kill.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:56 PM

It doesn't matter what you buy in for as long as you're not so low that you're in danger of being all-in on the next hand. You can always buy more chips when you're running low. Sometimes it's good to be kind of short stacked if you think your opponents will give you less credit for being a good player. Sometimes it's good to have a lot of chips so they'll think you know what you're doing and give you more credit for a hand. It's up to you.

What's more important is how much you bring with you to the card room--how much you will allow yourself to lose in a session. I go by Annie Duke's 30 BB rule. That's all I bring with me. There are others here, though, who bring 50 and even 100 BBs with them.

I usually play 15 and I tend to buy in for a rack (about 17 BBs).
Old 06-27-2003, 08:54 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

if you havent played much, and havent been hardened to the game. along with the fact that losing may affect youre play. emotions do take their toll and it takes time to develop the patience of getting the hell kicked out of them and still play well.

i loved A Dukes article on the 30BB rule. i personally use 25BB. though i have expanded on it and will buy a little more. i now use the 25BB mark to pause a moment and give myself a reality check as to how im playing. then i will decide if ill buy in a little more.

if it's a very aggressive game youll usually need more than 25BB to beat it. it is satisfying digging out of a hole at times.

i think everyone should experience major tilt at one time. hopefully on a cheap table. why? because then you know your own warning signs of when your starting to tilt a little. this can happen if youve blown some chips. hence, if you blow 25BBs, and you know the more you lose the worse you may play, you stop and call it a night. come back with a clear mind.

im all for stop losses and time limits until one is comfortable enough to play over them. this is one way to get the monetary affect out of your game and end up just concentrating on the game itself. the money will take care of itself.

btw...i dont buy in for the whole 25BB at once...usually 1/2 at a time.

there's some stuff to chew on. hope it gives ya some ideas.

b
Old 06-29-2003, 11:15 AM

I used to buy in for $300 at my 10-20 game, which is 15BBs. I now prefer a $400, or 20BB buy-in.

And I keep a few extra $100s in my pocket. I have a personal stop loss-limit of $600 at 10-20.

-Scott