Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Large raise with several limpers from button

$5 $10 Commerce

I see a common play if there are several limpers for the button or blinds to make it $60 to go and 80% of the time at least everyone folds. Its obvious they are doing this with a variety of hands, what strategy would be best to employ with these players?

Limp with premium hands?
Play back with any 2?
Call and bet the flop w any 2?
Forget about it.
Something else?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Large raise with several limpers from button

If some1's been doing it a lot, i limp reraise with any pp, sc's, any 2 suited broadway, any ace.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:07 PM

I like the modified stop-n-go (taken mostly from tournament play).

Smooth call preflop, bet about 1/2 - 2/3rds the pot into them on the flop.

This works best with a ragged board; and will be more successfull if several people fold due to the original raisers preflop raise.

Re-raising preflop will get you in trouble if a) the button really does have a premium hand and now makes a big re-raise and/or b) the button has giant balls and is willing to move all in to re-steal your resteal.

Do you really want to commit a large portion of your chips with pocket 5's or KJ suited because you decided to get in a pissing contest with the button?

P.S. If the stop and go method works... and button folds.. this is one time that I like to advertise my "moves" by showing rags. It will definately slow the roll of these button "movers" and you'll usually get paid off big time the next time you do have an over-pair on a ragged board.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This works best with a ragged board; and will be more successfull if several people fold due to the original raisers preflop raise.

Re-raising preflop will get you in trouble if a) the button really does have a premium hand and now makes a big re-raise and/or b) the button has giant balls and is willing to move all in to re-steal your resteal.

Do you really want to commit a large portion of your chips with pocket 5's or KJ suited because you decided to get in a pissing contest with the button?

P.S. If the stop and go method works... and button folds.. this is one time that I like to advertise my "moves" by showing rags. It will definately slow the roll of these button "movers" and you'll usually get paid off big time the next time you do have an over-pair on a ragged board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent advice, thank you!!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 02:33 PM

I disagree with a lot of this. It depends what type of person is doing the raising preflop. If it's a maniac, you can bet your roll that they are coming over the top of any flop bet you make, or just calling and taking it away on the turn. If it's just some goof that is having fun and there to gamble, then he is doing this with any pp or any ace and it's probably easy to steal from him in other ways.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Limp with premium hands?
Play back with any 2?
Call and bet the flop w any 2?
Forget about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

mostly "d", mixed up with a little bit of "a", some "b", and a little "c".
Old 11-16-2005, 02:37 PM

Normally I agree with just letting it go and moving on. But having spent a lot of time playing in the big game at Commerce... I've found that you HAVE to make moves against these people sometimes... or you just get pushed around and beat up.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran some numbers based on your strategy, I am assuming you have a tight image who would be seen as only betting into the raiser with top pair or better and are not likely to go away once you enter a pot. In this scenario if the original raiser does not have top pair or better, they are likely to go away.

If there are 4 limpers and the original raiser makes it 6xBB to go, then you are risking 5 to call and a continuation bet of 75% would be another 12 for a total of 17. Your reward is 10.

So, given this simple example (I know its too simple) it is a plus EV play because given the raisers hand range he is highly unlikely to hold top pair or better after the flop and if your image is right he will lay it down.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:39 PM

It makes a big difference if it's the BN or the blind that is doing this. If it's the BN, I'm gonna be more likely to bomb re-raise it (usually with a good hand the first time since this rarely gets any credit). If it's the blind, I'm gonna be more likely to call and then look to steal postflop - usually by calling the flop and then taking the pot on the turn. That way it looks like you have a monster and are just giving them rope to hang themselves with.