Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Did I overplay this?

Table is tight and pretty passive for the most part. Villian is semi-loose aggressive after ~40 hands. He generally plays good hands, though will occasionally play suited face-rag combo's. Rest of the players are LP that call with any piece of the board. My image is TAG, I've won 2 of 3 of the pots I've gone to showdown with and villian generally respects my raises

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO <font color="#A500AF">(villian)</font> calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">villian raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">villian caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

I 3-bet here for value. Is this appropriate? I have great odds on hitting my straight as well as having a decent overcard. Villian would've raised PF with any group 1 hand, so I can pretty much rule out a set. He may have AQ or KQ, but from previous play I think he would've raised with KQ, and almost certainly would've raised AQ. He could have suited hearts for a flush draw, maybe Ax? The cap concerns me though...

Turn: (8.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, villian calls, Button calls.

I bet here again for value and to get a feel for villian. I f raised here, I call and fold UI on the river. However, villian only calls, so the K concerns him. So far so good?

River: (11.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, villian calls, Button folds.

Should I have bet or checked here?

Final Pot: 13.50 BB
Old 11-14-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Did I overplay this?

The flop 3 bet is too much. It's not for value because your draw isn't coming in as often as the money you're getting for it. Hand plays differently from there.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:20 PM

you have the equity to bet in to 4 vils, not 2. dont 3bet the flop
Old 11-14-2005, 09:20 PM

I just call the flop raise; you lose major equity when it's capped and the guy behind you folds, and minor equity when it's 3 to the turn. I don't think your outs get much cleaner when you fold out a hand that the caller will fold either.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:22 PM

I like betting out on the flop with an oesd, but I don't think I'm going to 3bet this flop with a draw. Instead, I would call the raise with the intention of c-c or c-r on the turn. A, K, or 9 would get a cr from me, so I would have cr'd the turn and bet the river. If he raised me on the river after I'd cr'd the turn, I ought to be able to fold. As played, I like the turn and river bets.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:01 PM

grunch

on the flop, that's not a good 3-bet for value. With an OESD, even with the BDFD, you don't have enough players in to be putting value bets in. You're making your straight on the turn 17% of the time, so you need at least 6 players in with you. After your flop bet, you only have 3 players in. Also don't agree with the flop bet, because you can't be sure what the action behind will be. You said it was a tight table, so you would expect them to fold

turn: you bet into the pre-flop capper. What do you think his capping range is? Like TPTK? Two raggedy pair? You said he plays generally good hands. What happens if you get raised? I'm check/calling here and re-evaluating on the river.

river: i'd probably check/call here based on your turn action. your hand is not that great. if he was bluffing the flop, you will probably induce a bet here. You will not fold a better hand.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
on the flop, that's not a good 3-bet for value. With an OESD, even with the BDFD, you don't have enough players in to be putting value bets in. You're making your straight on the turn 17% of the time, so you need at least 6 players in with you. After your flop bet, you only have 3 players in. Also don't agree with the flop bet, because you can't be sure what the action behind will be. You said it was a tight table, so you would expect them to fold

[/ QUOTE ]

General consensus: dumb move on my part. Still trying to strike that balance between being aggressive and being stupid. Crossed over to the stupid side on that bet.

[ QUOTE ]
turn: you bet into the pre-flop capper. What do you think his capping range is? Like TPTK? Two raggedy pair? You said he plays generally good hands. What happens if you get raised? I'm check/calling here and re-evaluating on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured he probably had a pair with a draw as well. Maybe A2h, AJh, or QT, JT. I had top pair beat. I was fairly certain he didn't have a K, as I didn't think he'd cap JJ. I was pretty certain my K's were top pair.

[ QUOTE ]
river: i'd probably check/call here based on your turn action. your hand is not that great. if he was bluffing the flop, you will probably induce a bet here. You will not fold a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he was gonna raise, he'd have done it on the turn. The fact that he just called on the turn made me feel pretty confident he wouldn't raise on the river, and if he was capping on a draw with bottom/middle pair, he might fold.

Obviously, my logic (as well as my play) was flawed, hence my post here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

FWIW, villian had Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], wins with 2 pair. At least I was right on the Q [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 01:24 AM

grunch

I don't like the 3-bet on the flop. Hero only has 6 clean outs to a straight and the overcard puts a dangerously connected board up against what Hero reads as LP players. Call flop, CR turn on a safe card, call down river and hope hand is good.