Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Plugging the leaks in some premium hands, Part 1: AQo. ($25NLParty)

So after reviewing my PT stats, I've found that my worst hands actually include some premiums.

Botched? Hand #1. To call or not to call?

PT Stats on Villain: 35/15/2.4 (PVIP/PFR/PFA right?)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($50.75)
UTG ($51.40)
MP ($30.50)
Button ($14.15)
Hero ($29.60)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $1.4</font>, BB calls $1.25, MP folds.

Flop: ($3.25) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $7.

Turn: ($23.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $20</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $43.25
Old 11-14-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Plugging the leaks in some premium hands, Part 1: AQo. ($25NLParty)

On this particular flop, I'm all in.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Plugging the leaks in some premium hands, Part 1: AQo. ($25NLParty

Botched. You let yourself be bought out of a great hand. Even if (unlikely) he's better than you now, you had a good chance to make a high flush.

His play is not consistent with most of the hands that could beat you, but it IS consistent with a guy who wants you to fold. Do you think he would have bet so much if he really had a flush?

You can make a lot of money calling people who make wild raises.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think he would have bet so much if he really had a flush

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, no, I didn't put him on a flush. His flop reraise made me think he had two pair or trips, which would be a viable justification for the turn PSB.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:29 AM

I don't raise out of the blinds with A-Q and normally not with A-K either. I don't want to play for a big pot out of position when I'm hoping for a TPTK type of hand. You might want to just consider that. Because by raising, you're bloating the pot and OOP--just not good.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:34 AM

Even in 6max? I'll often check/complete/call a minbet with AJ in the blinds, but I typically raise with AK/AQ in the blinds.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:36 AM

Didn't realize it was 6max. But maybe even in 6max. A-Q is a good hand, but not gold.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:39 AM

Well right, but being out of position can be an advantage in itself. Postflop, frequently the first one to bet wins the pot, and being OOP increases the fold equity of the continuation bet imo.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:00 AM

Yes this hand was botched on the flop. When he makes it 10 to go you need to decide then if your hand is good and to fold or push (I probably fold depending on the player). He re-raised you big on flop you cant really expect him to check behind you on the turn. What you want to avoid is calling a big flop re-raise and then just check-fold the turn. If you are gonna check fold the turn then dont call the flop bet.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't raise out of the blinds with A-Q and normally not with A-K either. I don't want to play for a big pot out of position when I'm hoping for a TPTK type of hand. You might want to just consider that. Because by raising, you're bloating the pot and OOP--just not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm I think AK can be raised from any position. If a pot comes limped around to me in the blinds I am gonna often make a pot sized bet here (or bigger if there is only a player or 2 in the hand) and try and pick it up right then without a fight. If you do get called well you have a pretty good hand. I agree with you on AQ though.