Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Warning! Strongly overplayed KK!

Warning! The content below may be offensive to some viewers! I really slaughtered this hand. I don't wanna be someone who overplays his big pocket pairs! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Please tell me when, where and how to get away from a situation like this! Is there a better way to find out that Villain has me beaten than by putting half my stack into the middle?

No hand history available so I'll try to reconstruct the hand from my mind.

First hand I sit down at a Party 50 NL 6-max table, so obviously no read on players. I sit down with $50.

Blinds $0.25/$0.50. I get K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB. UTG limps, button limps, I raise to $3. UTG calls, button folds.

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Pot $6.75)

I bet $6. UTG raises to $12. Hmmm... I reraise to $24. UTG reraises again to $36. At this point I'm almost sure he has at least trip eights, but still some unknown force makes me put the rest of my stack into the middle. Of course, UTG calls and shows up A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the trips. My 2-outer doesn't hit... Tilt!

How did I end up here and where was my first mistake that put me in this situation?

EDIT: No, there weren't two 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the deck so I changed the flop eight to a diamond. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Warning! Strongly overplayed KK!

Did you think about c/c the flop and leading the turn?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:41 AM

You can excercise some pot control. Don't get into raising battle on flop.

Raise to 2.50 PF. On flop bet 3 bucks (not too scary of flop if he doesnt have 8) into 5.75 pot, call miniraise.

c/c turn and play poker on river.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope. Is that a "standard line" in situations like this one? Fold to a turn raise?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:58 AM

PF is fine. Bet 4 on the flop; its a really drawless board. Once he min raises call, if you want to raise dont minraise.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can excercise some pot control. Don't get into raising battle on flop.

Raise to 2.50 PF. On flop bet 3 bucks (not too scary of flop if he doesnt have 8) into 5.75 pot, call miniraise.
c/c turn and play poker on river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you are saying that I'm either way ahead or way behind all the way. That's why I shouldn't be afraid of giving cheap (or free) cards right? Neither do I need to get into a raising war for this reason.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PF is fine. Bet 4 on the flop; its a really drawless board. Once he min raises call, if you want to raise dont minraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Just want to point out that I didn't min raise. He raised to 12 and I raised to 24. A min raise would have been to 18. Anyhow, I think I should have taken it slower as other posters suggested.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its just an alternate road you can take. My standard is to bet the flop as you did.

Also, raise more if your going to raise. I prefer not to 3-bet the flop, it just gets messy. How bout lead/call, then see a turn? c/c isnt bad if its an aggressive opponent, if hes solid, I can c/f.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its just an alternate road you can take. My standard is to bet the flop as you did.

Also, raise more if your going to raise. I prefer not to 3-bet the flop, it just gets messy. How bout lead/call, then see a turn? c/c isnt bad if its an aggressive opponent, if hes solid, I can c/f.

[/ QUOTE ]

A big problem was that I knew nothing about my opponent so I could just guess what kind of player he was. I guess that's another reason for taking it slower on the flop. There are really not many hands he will continue to play after the flop unless he has me beat.