Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Theory on the PSB?

I know this is primarily a theory question, but I always post here and it's only applicable to NL.

Very generally speaking, why do pot-sized bets (or thereabouts), appear to be the most effective for no-limit play? Of course this isn't always the case, but with min-betting at one end of the spectrum and pushing at the other, we seem to generally agree that "pot the flop" is the profitable play when the general play is to bet.

Why is this? I'm convinced that it's so, but I don't know why. Minbets let opponents on a draw call correctly, obviously that's bad, OK. Pushing is sometimes effective, but in many cases will only win you the least when you're ahead and lose you the most when you're behind; OK.

So in between there is the whole range of possible bets. I see precious little discussion of overbets, or players who do it with any frequency. Some on this forum advocate 3/4 on the flop, 2/3 turn, 1/2 at the river, etc. But usually the explanation is that "that's my standard, it works for me."

Anyone want to throw any math around those numbers? Or do we all just wait for the Sklansky book on no-limit?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Theory on the PSB?

One reason to stick to PSB or bets just under that in general when you dont have a very good reason to bet otherwise is to leak the least information. And it also mostly put a good amount of pressure at the opponents.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:47 AM

a lot of things in holdem are 2 to 1 on the flop. pair vs flush draw,set vs flush or straight, set vs open ended straight flush draw, etc...

when you bet pot, you give your opponent 2 to 1.

I think thats predominately the reason.

the other is just because its an easy way to decide.

also in 100bb stacks, potting it everystreet is right around being all in at the river with a near potsized bet.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:08 PM

PSB are best on draw heavy boards. I'm realizing when the opponent is not likely to be on a draw they are not. I've had alot of success recently with overbetting pots with very draw heavy flops, and underbetting on safe boards to either induce a raise from a super lag or have a tight player call with a lesser holding. TWP posted RayZees comments on underbetting and they are actually very worthwhile. Best bet is always to be the amount that will extract the most from an opponent and have them call incorrectly (or raise incorrectly). PSB is just a basis for a draw board and starter point. I think it isn't good for C-bets because they have to be successful more times than not than say a 3/4 bet.