Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 10:20 AM

Default A4o blind steal

Villain is 24/7/2 and from my experience he seems to defend his blinds pretty aggressively. Please comment!

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.16 BB
Old 11-09-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: A4o blind steal

flop isn't a problem. though with that weak of a hand i usually just call and reevaluate on the turn.

but the way it was played: no way i'm betting that turn. he capped and then checks?! that's a crappy c/r waiting to happen.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:19 AM

I thought a flushdraw was likely when he checked the turn, its common for poor players to play a FD this way. And i thought that if he checkraised it was a pretty safe fold.

Do you mean you would check the turn, given the flop action? I think a free card could be really terrible in this spot. I am much more willing to bet/fold the turn than to call a river bet.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:31 AM

yeah that could be true. others have said similar things about people playing a flush draw like this, i just haven't come across it too much for that line of play to come to mind. i've seen the c/r before, i just haven't seen people cap their draws.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:04 PM

Oh i've seen it many times. I think many poor players actually think its for value heads up.

And about the flop 3-bet. I had a feeling this guy could be playing back with just overcards or some draw, thinking that i probably missed the flop. My biggest concern was that he may have a PP higher than 4, but i've got 6 outs against that and hopefully some folding equity.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:10 PM

Your hand has serious SD value. Get there. Betting the turn and folding was a mistake against a guy who defends his blinds aggressively. If you will fold to a C/R there check behind and call a river bet instead. That way you get the SD you hand for the same price.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought a flushdraw was likely when he checked the turn, its common for poor players to play a FD this way.

[/ QUOTE ]
I happens, but it's not common IMO. I like the line you took and I'm not checking through the turn for the reasons you stated. I think the only hand likely to check/raise the turn here is an overpair or 6x/88/44 making the fold safe. He probably don't has an overpair since he didn't 3-bet preflop and he defends his blinds aggressively.

But I think I like calling the preflop raise and raising the turn for a free sd is better. Charges fd:s the most and makes a fold safer IMO. We might even fold a better hand like 55/77, but that's not very likely. We might definately fold 6-outers, though.

Personally I'm starting to question if folding any kind of hand HU ever is safe. Against aggressive players these raise/folds seems risky. In this case we might be giving up up to 5 outs in pretty big pot. But with this read I like the turn raise as the last money to put into the pot anyways. But what do I know, this player had seem reasonable to me until this hand:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.20 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.20 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Kh 4c (two pair, kings and twos).
Hero has Td Ts (two pair, tens and twos).
Outcome: BB wins 11.20 BB. </font>

An argument could be made for raising this turn for a free sd...
Old 11-09-2005, 12:20 PM

Yes you might be right. It turned out later on that this guy was capable of these plays with just air, he almost seemed to have something against me. If i had known that at the time i might have checked behind on the turn.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:27 PM

But like droolie said. If he is a fanatical blind defender, it may be better to give him the free card on the turn, don't you think? Against most players at 3/6 i guess a raise somewhere is to prefer though.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But like droolie said. If he is a fanatical blind defender, it may be better to give him the free card on the turn, don't you think? Against most players at 3/6 i guess a raise somewhere is to prefer though.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he is a fanatical blind defender, absolutely. If he "seems to defend his blinds pretty aggressively", I still think I like raising the turn as I would take a maniac to 3-bet a worse hand (or a hand we're having 5 outs against). If you feel he might be a maniac, I agree about checking.