Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Really short and easy? hand

Dealt to Hero in SB [6h 7h]

Unimportant limps, Hero completes, Unknown BB checks

Flop comes 9s8c3c (3sb)

I check, BB bets, player folds, I call.

Turn (2.5BB) Ad
I check, BB bets, I fold.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Really short and easy? hand

I think the kind of hands Unimportant tends to limp with is a consideration, because I want to semibluff the flop, but at the same time that is kind of a limp-friendly board. Also, I wonder how inclined your opponents are to peel. If they're really big peelers, then there goes your folding equity, but then again you may have 14 outs to the best hand even if you get called twice.

On the turn, a semibluff lead and semibluff checkraise are both possibilities, if you think there's some chance of getting BB to fold. A lead would represent the ace, and a checkraise would represent at least top pair (or an effort to blow BB off of his hand), but neither of these things are worth the bother if BB won't fold.

Anyway, after you check, you don't really have the immediate odds to chase, unless you think you may have pair outs versus your opponent's bluff or his draw, so I think the fold is all right. But I probably would have called.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the kind of hands Unimportant tends to limp with is a consideration, because I want to semibluff the flop, but at the same time that is kind of a limp-friendly board. Also, I wonder how inclined your opponents are to peel. If they're really big peelers, then there goes your folding equity, but then again you may have 14 outs to the best hand even if you get called twice.

On the turn, a semibluff lead and semibluff checkraise are both possibilities, if you think there's some chance of getting BB to fold. A lead would represent the ace, and a checkraise would represent at least top pair (or an effort to blow BB off of his hand), but neither of these things are worth the bother if BB won't fold.

Anyway, after you check, you don't really have the immediate odds to chase, unless you think you may have pair outs versus your opponent's bluff or his draw, so I think the fold is all right. But I probably would have called.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know I really don't disagree with any statement made here, but I've been looking over my game as a whole and I've really come to one conclusion. If you give up in spots like this instead of betting/cr for small value (against the right opponents) it allows you to gain a lot more when in similar spots that have a lot more value.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:19 AM

I bet out this flop usually as a semibluff...If i run into resistance I still see the river as long as its a non cl or pair or jack.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:53 AM

This is a hand that is so easy to over play just because you can. In SB you should see the flop with essentially the same hand as in LP (SSH p. 81). Low suited connectors need many opponents to be profitable, you don't have that here, and should let go of the hand before the flop.
If you do see the flop for 1/2 bet (still ok), on the flop there is not enough money in the pot to justify chasing with a straight draw, especially since only one opponent left that will feed the pot / pay you off...
Old 11-07-2005, 04:56 AM

i bet the flop

the way you played it turn fold is probably ok, it dosent look like you will be able to make up 2 more bets on the river, this is one of the fairly rare times you can fold a (probably) clean 8-outter for 1 bet

i dont know what limit this is, but i might raise the turn against the right opponent, against an unknown, in a small pot, thats probly not a good idea tho
Old 11-07-2005, 05:05 AM

Easy flop bet. Come on. No preflop aggressor, why aren't you semi-bluffing here? Check-calling is atrocious.

Turn fold is...well I guess it's fine against an unknown. I'm never in this spot though because I bet the flop.

Will
Old 11-07-2005, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a hand that is so easy to over play just because you can. In SB you should see the flop with essentially the same hand as in LP (SSH p. 81). Low suited connectors need many opponents to be profitable, you don't have that here, and should let go of the hand before the flop.
If you do see the flop for 1/2 bet (still ok), on the flop there is not enough money in the pot to justify chasing with a straight draw, especially since only one opponent left that will feed the pot / pay you off...

[/ QUOTE ]

You are getting 4-1 on a 4.5-1 shot. Definately a profitable call because of implied odds.

Anyways, I would definately lead this flop.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are getting 4-1 on a 4.5-1 shot. Definately a profitable call because of implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

your gettign 3.5-1 on a 4.75-1 shot, i doubt your making more than one extra bet on the river, but its close and you may be able to count pair outs for something, but then again if your going to do that, you might have to discredit your srtaight outs because of the 2-flush and the fact that tens dont give you the nuts, so id probly just leave it at 8 outs

anyway, just bet the flop
Old 11-07-2005, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your gettign 3.5-1 on a 4.75-1 shot, i doubt your making more than one extra bet on the river, but its close and you may be able to count pair outs for something, but then again if your going to do that, you might have to discredit your srtaight outs because of the 2-flush and the fact that tens dont give you the nuts, so id probly just leave it at 8 outs

anyway, just bet the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually refering to the flop not the turn.