Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Help my AK Play PLEASE!

I know I botched this hand but I dont know how or where to start to clean my play up, any comments will help 2/4 hold em:
Dealt to Hero(SB) [Kh As]
Early1: raises $2 to $4

hero: raises $2 to $6

Early 1: raises $2 to $8
Betting is capped
Hero: calls $2
*** FLOP *** [3h 5c 2c]
Hero: checks
Early 1: bets $2
Hero: calls $2
*** TURN *** [3h 5c 2c] [7d]
Hero: checks
Early 1: bets $4
Hero: raises $4 to $8
Early 1: calls $4
*** RIVER *** [3h 5c 2c 7d] [6c]
Hero: bets $4
Early 1: calls $4
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Hero: shows [Kh As] (high card Ace)
Early 1: shows [Qs Qc] (a pair of Queens)

collected $44 from pot

*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $46 | Rake $2
Board [3h 5c 2c 7d 6c]
Old 11-04-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Help my AK Play PLEASE!

raising this turn without a specific read sucks. as a default without a read I would tend to check call the flop, check call the turn and check fold the river UI. there is also nothing wrong with check/folding the turn UI.

Edit: changed my post as there was a typo that might have made my post confusing.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:11 AM

Very simple. You can put your opponent, if he's reasonable, on JJ+, AK.

On the turn, you're either tied or drawing to 6 outs. If he has AK, he might fold to your turn c/r, he might fold the river UI, he might even call it down (however, his betting the turn slightly increases the chance of a pair since an overpair is never checking while AK will on occasion).

The only reasonable chance to win this hand you have is by c/r the turn, being called by AK, and having him lay it down UI on the river.

That being the proposition, I think you're best off just calling the turn and folding the river, or folding the turn. You can't win 'em all... of course if you have reason to believe your opponent isn't reasonable.. use that.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:12 AM

The mistake was raising the turn as I am sure you have realized.... The decision is close between check/folding turn UI or chasing to the river the latter the route I usually take
Old 11-04-2005, 03:13 AM

Your turn checkraise doesn't have much chance of working. Villain (who capped preflop) most likely either has an overpair or overcards + a gutshot. I think he'll have an overpair more often. (Given the cards we know, AA-QQ is 12 combos, while AK is 9 combos. Aside from that, I think 2/4 players are more inclined to cap with big pairs than with AK.) But I think he's very unlikely to fold at this point.

The river follow-up is consistent, and at this point Villain might in fact drop AK, and you'll buy yourself half of the pot when he does. But he won't always fold AK, and he'll usually have something else.

Basically, I think you're better off check-calling the flop and turn (with your overcards plus gutshot) and then check-folding the river if Villain bets again.

With a read that Villain never stops firing with overcards, I'd check-call the river as well (so long as I think he will cap preflop with unpaired big cards).
Old 11-04-2005, 04:01 AM

Hey,

Firstly, use a hand converter to make the hand easier to read. You'll get more replies that way. Don't add results either, as it may lead to biased advice. Also try to include reads and other important information.

On to the hand, I think the turn is where it takes a turn for the worse (no pun intended [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). Given villain's likely hand range (AA-JJ & AK) it's very probable we are behind. It's highly unlikely we'll fold out any better hands with a raise, or even AK (as there is a wheel draw), and thus raising the turn achieves nothing.

I'd assume we have approximately 7 outs (3.5 for the 4, 3.5 for the A or K), and thus have the correct odds to call the turn bet. I'd intend to fold the river unimproved, as I don't think villain will hold AK or less enough times to justify calling.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The mistake was raising the turn as I am sure you have realized.... The decision is close between check/folding turn UI or chasing to the river the latter the route I usually take

[/ QUOTE ]
I think my above post might have been confusing and I fixed the wording. basically the turn raise is the mistake and check/calling and check/folding are fairly even as far as the turn decisions go.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raising this turn without a specific read sucks. as a default without a read I would tend to check call the flop, check call the turn and check fold the river UI. there is also nothing wrong with check/folding the turn UI.

Edit: changed my post as there was a typo that might have made my post confusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

(without reads) are you taking this approach because he has capped? If the betting was not capped preflop would you bet out on the flop?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

(without reads) are you taking this approach because he has capped? If the betting was not capped preflop would you bet out on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
because he capped he is giving you more info on his hand range and like somebody else said above you are behind a large part of that range and tying with the other bit.

If say he just calls your 3-bet then you are pretty much auto-betting any flop and most turns UI.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:38 AM

Sorry but.... It's so obvious he has a premium pocket pair. Raising the turn is just psycho. What can you achieve by raising the turn? When he called the Check raise on the turn you know you're against a premium pocket pair. This is a hand where you need the discipline to lay down AK. Don't get married to it.