Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2003, 02:02 AM

Default Ranking players

Some thoughts as i was driving home from the card room tonight. If you ranked all the poker players in the world 1 being worst 100 being best where would you rank yourself. Where would you rank some other posters. What would you use as critieria for your rankings. Is it possible that a [70] could win against a [50] but be break even or a looser against a [30]. Its hard to rank yourself id say i am usualy in the high 80s but sometimes play in the low 70s. Id also say a lot of the regular posters are in the 90s if not a little higher. Ive read where David Sklansky puts hand reading high on the list between good and great but I think people reading may be #1. 2 is game selection. 3 disipline 4 hand reading. Boy when i start that list it makes my head spin there are a lot of thimgs to consider. I also think that a good player could have more trouble at times with a bad player as opposed to an average player because the average players plays make more sense and are easyer for the good player to read. Witch brings up the question who is the better player. Also what does the great player do to confuse the good player. Well its late here im going to bed and not sleep again thinking about poker. TheReverend Mark H any thoughts welcome... [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2003, 05:29 PM

Default Hello,Mark! Ranking,huh??..Hmmm...

For the sake of argument,let's assume we are talking about the DIVISION of 15/30 Hold'em.
By "DIVISION",I mean game type,limit,no limit,pot limit,tournement.
In my example,type=Hold'em;Limit=15/30
Now on a scale of 1 to 100 in this particular DIVISION,I would define a bad/weak player from 1/25; a good player from 25/50; a very good player from 50/75; an expert from 75/100. The equivalent in hourly rate earning for the good player would be 1BB/1.5BB per Hr.;for the very good player,1.5BB to 2BB per Hr.; and for the expert,2BB+ per Hr. over time.
I'm also assuming the player plays only at a B&M--NOT Online. Note that a player in one DIVISION might NOT have the SAME RANKING when he plays in another--For example,if a player is an expert in one DIVISION,he can very well be a bad/weak player in another DIVISION.

Based upon my definition,I'm a GOOD PLAYER IN MY DIVISION. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
HappyPoering, [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
SittingBull
Old 06-16-2003, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Hello,Mark! Ranking,huh??..Hmmm...

I'd tend to put the hourly rates at more like

(0-25)Bad Player - constant loser
(25-50)Avg Player - break even player or slight loser (would probably win without a rake)
(50-75)Good Player - .5-1BB/hour
(75+) Great/Expert Player- 1BB+/hour

The "Bad Player" Range is probably the biggest by a pretty big margin and then each division will get progressively smaller.

As for me, by this rating scheme I'd like to think I'm in the 60s but realistically I'm probably closer to a border-line Avg player
Old 06-17-2003, 03:48 PM

Default Hello,notton! Wow! In my DIVISION,I\' m a VERY GOOD...

PLAYER according to your rankings. However,since i do make many mistakes in my DIVISION,I do not consider myself a "VERY GOOD PLAYER". However,I do believe that I'm a "GOOD PLAYER"
HappyPokering,
SittingBull
Old 06-18-2003, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Hello,notton! Wow! In my DIVISION,I\' m a VERY GOOD...

In low limt HE to 5-10, I would put myself in the Mid 70's.

In 10-20 HE, I would be in the mid 60's.
In 20-40 HE, I would be in the upper 50's-low 60's.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:45 PM

Hi Guys....For me, the best ranking system is the "LGPG" one. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Babe.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Ranking players

Hey Mark, check out the essay "The Problem with Simple Rankings" by Sklansky on this page. It might answer some of your questions.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:45 AM

Hi Babe,

I know I am not the Top Player according to your ranking, but number 7 worldwide ain't so bad...

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Greets, Erd.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:57 PM

I think you probably underestimate yourself if you are consistantly making over 1BB/hour. Compared to everyone who plays poker you are most likely a very good player.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:03 PM

Default Hello,Rob! David is talking about \"HAND RANKING\",NOT...

"PLAYER RANKING".
HappyPokering,
SittingBull