Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 07:49 AM

Default Should I have checked this down?

I mostly play limit, so perhaps the value bet on the river wasn't a good idea.

Crypto site £0.50-£1. 6-handed. Villain has £86.87, hero £92.50.

Hero is in CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

2 folds, <font color="red">hero </font> raises to £4.00, <font color="blue">villain</font> re-raises to £7.00. 4 folds, <font color="red">Hero </font> calls

Flop <font color="red">(2-handed) </font>
4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

<font color="red">Hero</font> bets £7.00, <font color="blue"> villain </font> raises £14.00. Hero calls.

Turn
Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

check, check

River
7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

<font color="red">Hero</font> bets £20. <font color="blue">villain calls</font>
Old 11-02-2005, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Should I have checked this down?

This is a tough hand because of his min-raise preflop. I might consider check-calling the flop.

But given you lead out for 7 fake moneys, I like your line. Definately fold to a river raise, I hope that was your plan.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:46 AM

I'd probably fire a smaller blocking bet on the river. I think you are behind AK that is scared you have AQ.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:24 AM

I always fold AJo out of position to a reraise preflop.

As the hand played out, I like your line including the river bet if there weren't two diamonds on the board. As it played out, you really suffer from playing this potentially dominated hand out of position. I think if you feel your Ace is good, you should bet half the pot on the turn to protect against a draw, then put out a $15 or $20 blocking bet on the river. Fold to more raises, unless you get a "push" from villain on a non-diamond river and you suspect a busted flush bluff.

As played, the only ligitimate hand you're beating is AT or a missed flush draw that won't call a blocking bet on the river. So, as played, I think check/calling the river in order to induce a bluff from a missed flush draw is better than betting. Betting in this spot only gets called by a hand that has you beat.

Just hope villain has KK or QQ and is too stubborn to let it go, and don't play AJo out of position in re-raised pots any more.