Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 07:09 PM

Default AK and a bad river card.

this situation has been coming up a lot lately. thought my hand might still be good on the river but wasn't sure. any comments appreciated.

Absolute Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, SB folds, rest of hand in white: <font color="white"> Hero calls. villian has TJo and MHING.
</font>
Old 11-01-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: AK and a bad river card.

bet the river.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:12 PM

Everything until the river is boringly standard.

As for the river, this seems like a classic situation where bet-folding is much, much better than check-calling.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:16 PM

I think you should lead the river and fold to a raise, because there are still hands that will call that you beat.

But check/call isn't that bad at least you get to showdown.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But check/call isn't that bad at least you get to showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is wrong. Check-calling the river is MUCH worse than bet-folding. Checking lets all the worse Ks, Qs, pocket pairs, draws that just picked up 9s, and so on check behind and showdown for free. Checking let's villain choose what hands he puts money in, instead of us making the decision for him. Don't check and let villain play the river close to perfectly.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:27 PM

I would bet fold river. There is no indication that the players are not calling down with a K or Q that u have pwned
Old 11-01-2005, 07:37 PM

I definitely see why bet/fold is a better play here, however, are we not worried about ever being bluffed here?
Old 11-01-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely see why bet/fold is a better play here, however, are we not worried about ever being bluffed here?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a much smaller consideration than the consideration of losing value by checking. Most 3/6 players simply are not capable of bluff-raising the river here, largely because most players aren't capable of doing what hero intends to do, which is fold to a raise. Without a read that villain is tricky and is capable of bluff raising, then folding is pretty easy. The rare times we do get bluffed out we can chalk up to bad beats.