Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 04:43 PM

Default stud8 dilemma

7 Card Stud High-Low ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls

5th Street - (6.44 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___raises___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___folds
Old 11-01-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: stud8 dilemma

It's easy to say for me now that I have seen what happened, but I'd taken a free card on 5th just to avoid what exactly happened. You're beat high and have now low, combined that with looking at A-2-3 and I gladly take a free card.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's easy to say for me now that I have seen what happened, but I'd taken a free card on 5th just to avoid what exactly happened. You're beat high and have now low, combined that with looking at A-2-3 and I gladly take a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's my reason for betting out on 5th:
hope I get comments from people who havent read my reasoning yet [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
<font color="white"> The reason I wanted to bet here is to give seat 1 and chance to raise, knocking out seat 3 and giving me a much better chance of scooping. When two lows straights are betting and raising, even the losest opponents will have to throw away everything but at least a good two pair, and a solid player might even throw that away.

Even if villain calls 2 cold, I'm still in pretty good shape and might even more than 1/3rd pot equity and hence was making money from that raise. Ditto if they both flat call.

If I check 5th, I'll be putting myself in very akward shape on 6th if everyone bricks. Seat 1 could lead out and get raised by seat 3, and I'd have no idea if I'm drawing dead both ways or if I can still scope. Betting 5th also sets me up to check behind on 6th.

Betting on 5th and seeing seat 3 c/r again into two scary boards tells me for one bet that i'm most likely drawing thin if not dead for the high half.

The downside of course is that things can go very badly and I could be pushed off a strong hand by some tricky plays, or might be betting the worse hand when I could have gotten a free card. </font>
Old 11-01-2005, 05:20 PM

Jam fourth, check fifth.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:03 PM

I think you need to cap it on fourth and then I would either check or bet fifth depending on what I felt was going to happen. I like capping foruth bc it might be able to save you a bet on fifth street.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:06 PM

I started out not liking thsi fold but I like it now. The check 3bettor has to have you either beat or drawing to 3 outs for high, and at 2/4 it seems like the c/rer oculd be going that iwth just a good low witha draw to a better low, of course he could have a wheel too. If this were higher and checkraiser was tricky it would be tougher I think. He knows his board looks low and he could be just jamming a high hand hoping to trap seat 3 between you and him. That's probably giving your opponent too much credit though.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started out not liking thsi fold but I like it now. The check 3bettor has to have you either beat or drawing to 3 outs for high, and at 2/4 it seems like the c/rer oculd be going that iwth just a good low witha draw to a better low, of course he could have a wheel too. If this were higher and checkraiser was tricky it would be tougher I think. He knows his board looks low and he could be just jamming a high hand hoping to trap seat 3 between you and him. That's probably giving your opponent too much credit though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not too worried about the A2 having a wheel. If he had 4 to the wheel on 4th I'm sure he would have jammed then. On 4th I think the best hand he likely has is a draw to a rough 6low or worse. On 5th, I think his raise could mean anything from a made 7low to a pair + draw to a good 4low. I'm more worried about seat 3. With the way he played his hand, I think I have to give him credit to either trips or a made straight. In either of these cases, I'm probably drawing just to the low half of the pot, and it could easily get very expensive.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:49 PM

Cap fourth. I think you have to bet fifth, and while I wouldn't enjoy it, I think you made a good lay-down. You probably have a limited number of outs for half the pot.