Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 07:13 AM

Default opening hands ?

My vpip is about 14.3 and I was wondering that I may be playing a bit to tight. Part of it may be that my opening hands are based on the ssh book, tight games table (I seem to find only tight games 3-5 players average on flop). It does not say how to adjust when players sit out. For instance if you are in ep3(utg+2) position and someone behind you sits out, is your position now mp1?
Old 11-01-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Re: opening hands ?

All that matters is how many players act after you.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For instance if you are in ep3(utg+2) position and someone behind you sits out, is your position now mp1?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

I don't think you steal enough and maybe don't defend your blinds enough. These stats tells quite a lot. Another good advice is to post hands and read the boards.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:06 AM

Are you following SSH strictly and getting these numbers?

It is important that you understand that these are general guidelines, it is soo important that you also manage to read the board and the players. Some players you can open up to, others you must become tighter to.

You are probably playing too tight, perhaps too passively as well- how much are you raising pf?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:14 AM

Could you be playing more hands yes is probably the answer, should you be I think is probably a no at this point.

The more hands you add the more marginal they are and the better you have to be able to play post flop. Rather than worrying and looking to add new hands play the ones you do better get ultra confident on your post flop play, at this point you can start thinking ofd what other hands you can profitabley add to your play.

Other alternative is a stint at 6 handed games where you would need to play a lot more.

But stop over worrying about starting stats and focus on how you play.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:25 AM

even playing the tight game table 14.3 seems small... your question seems to me to imply the nuances are still coming to you... but for now, too tight is better than too loose. focus on why the hands your playing are playable from where they are... and subtle differences between UTG+2 and MP1 will become moot as you develop a better sense for position and the players around you.

that's awful vague, so to summarize: you're too tight, but it's probably not a big problem yet. you'll want to loosen up in the blinds and in late position and behind limpers (or when first in from middle to late). if you stay focused on why you can play the hands you do play from where you play them, you will start to develop a sense of how you can expand your preflop range.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:42 AM

listen to davey mc
Old 11-02-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For instance if you are in ep3(utg+2) position and someone behind you sits out, is your position now mp1?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

I don't think you steal enough and maybe don't defend your blinds enough. These stats tells quite a lot. Another good advice is to post hands and read the boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely very true. I didn't notice the ssh book getting too much into blind stealing and defending. I think I will add 3 more poker books to my collection and read them. A collection of only one poker book is probably considered pathetic here.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I will add 3 more poker books to my collection and read them. A collection of only one poker book is probably considered pathetic here.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you think adding 3 more still won't be!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

In addition to the usual 2+2 suspects (SSH; the Harrington Books; TOP; HEPAP) and Doyle's "Super System", I would also add "Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker" to your list. I've got so many poker books it's ridiculous!! Someday maybe it will all sink in... Along with the postings here!
Old 11-02-2005, 04:43 PM

The number of hands you play should depend on the games you play in. If your playing in a loose passive game then you definitely aren't playing enough, but if the game is fairly tight and aggro 15% isn't bad. The hands your not playing are very marginal probably and you don't expect to lose a lot (this all assuming you play very well post flop)