Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Interesting WA/WB situations

Interesting reference from the SS digest with comments from Daniel Negreanu (sorry if this has already been posted).

Link
Old 10-28-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Interesting WA/WB situations

Must be nice when you can call Lindgren, Cassidy and Harmann up on the phone and ask them for advice on a hand.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:14 PM

Saw this posted in Small Stakes I think. Funny how many people said that he was wrong! Like they know better than one of the very best players in the world. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 01:15 PM

4 of the very best...all of Daniels "buddies" agreed that check/call is correct.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:23 PM

The turn is a pretty easy check/call.
I'm not sure why check/call is better than bet/fold on the river though. It's pretty clear that we want to see a showdown after we call the turned Ace, so I can't imagine ever inducing a bluff with a river check.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:35 PM

The next time I do my standard "check the river to induce a bluff because you're probably not winning 50% of the time if you're called" bit and everyone screams "omg value bet", I'm going to talk about my four friends who all advocate a check/call. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 10:45 PM

The problem with check-calling the river is you don't have any fold equity. You don't always want to just check-call. Against passives you should practically always bet-fold. Against a TAG, if he will call with more hands than he will bet with, then the highest EV play is to bet-fold, but if he is *much* more likely to bet with more hands than he'll call with, we should check-call. If he is capable of bluff raising, then you have to factor that into your EV calc. A high enough bluff raise percentage would push the play toward check-call, which is why that is good against tricky players, I suppose.

The one advantage to check-calling a TAG is that you get to see their cards if you lose, which can be valuable info in the future. But probably not as valuable as making them fold the best hand in a large pot.

I worked out all the math behind this and posted it in the theory section, but got no responses. Here's a link.