Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Intimidated by 5/10? (LC)

Don’t be. I have had no trouble finding 4-6 tables looking like this:

I think that if you’re comfortable playing 3/6 and have the bankroll for 5/10 you should move up. That is if your poker ambition is to improve your game, earn money and move up in limits. You should be aware that 5/10 is a more aggressive game (for example average pfr at the tables are often ~10%). Players tend to get tricky and you’ll often be facing marginal situations heads up, but I think it’s clear these games are beatable for a high winrate even while multitabling. If you’re a decent, but far from perfect, poker player like me, you should be able to beat 5/10 full for more than 2BB/100 longterm. This is very reachable even playing 4 tables if you’re used to multitable IMO. These are estimations I made by judging from the tables and not my own winrate. When I played yesterday I got called down by A and K-high hands at least 8 times in situation where the action earlier in the hand made it clear they were beat and also most often should have folded on the earlier streets (probably more than that since I don’t always pay attention to what people were calling down with while playing 4-6 tables). As you all know, table selection is the key.

Good luck!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Intimidated by 5/10? (LC)

I was intimidated at first. After the skins split I was playing at UB and Absolute for a while and pretty much ended up playing 5/10 because it had the better games once in a while. And it's true, there are lots of fish there, and it's not like any radical change takes place where you need to re-learn the game.

One thing I have noticed is the frequency of aggression/bluffing coming from the fish. I was bluffed off a pot last night where the board was 789T (and I had AT). I got c/r'd by a guy with an AF of 1.1, so I folded. He flipped over 33.

Definitely learned a lesson...
Old 10-28-2005, 10:20 AM

Also, did you know you can get rid of the BJ and Sidebet images by deleting them from the images directory? I find these distracting.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, did you know you can get rid of the BJ and Sidebet images by deleting them from the images directory? I find these distracting.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is worth repeating. I did this the other night after the sidbet thingy started to annoy me by blocking PAhud stats.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, suddenly my life appears to be so much easier! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's not like any radical change takes place where you need to re-learn the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what's preventing many players to move up. And it's true for all limits I've moved up from so far. The game doesn't change much by moving up one limit.

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I have noticed is the frequency of aggression/bluffing coming from the fish. I was bluffed off a pot last night where the board was 789T (and I had AT). I got c/r'd by a guy with an AF of 1.1, so I folded. He flipped over 33.

[/ QUOTE ]
The AF isn't an accurate way of judging if an opponent is bluffy. Bluffing/semi-bluffing increases between 3/6 and 5/10. That's a thing you need to be aware of before moving up.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:48 AM

at first I was like "man wtf are you talking about this is like my nightmare table why the hell are you in that seat"

then I realized I play 6max
Old 10-28-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
at first I was like "man wtf are you talking about this is like my nightmare table why the hell are you in that seat"

then I realized I play 6max

[/ QUOTE ]

The table is good for full. Unfortunately he has the worst seat at the table.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The game doesn't change much by moving up one limit.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just moved from 2/4 to 3/6 and it is completely different IMHO.

I am not saying it's impossible to beat a table with 5 TAGS, 2 LAGS and one fish, but stealing/defending blinds is a major part of 3/6. At 2/4 I found value betting donks was the key.

By the way, I play during the US daytime from Europe.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:55 AM

Sorry but why is this table good? I would be off it in a heartbeat! I play $2-$4 pacific and can usually find a table with 1 or 2 (sometime even 3) players with 60~80/0.5 type stats. If there's nobody above 40, I bail.
If this is a GOOD 5/10 table, then I'm certainly not moving limits anytime soon.