Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Keeping track of cards.

Does anyone have a certain method they use for keeping track of cards? Do you remember every single card, or only the ones that seem like they will be relevant to the hand?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Keeping track of cards.

Please read the FAQ.

Sometimes I can remember all the cards, and sometimes I can't. I do have a pretty good idea of how live the cards I need are, as well as the cards I think my opponents need.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:56 AM

I personally do this----are my cards live? If I have JJ 10 say, are the Js live, how about the 10s? It can affect the way the hand is played later. If I make two pair and it looks like I am up against an obvious straight, do I have 4 live cards to continue in a large pot? If I am on a flush or straight draw I count those exact crads needed to make my hand. I will know if there are 9 spades clean or I am down to 3. Then I generally will look at the cards that affect the other hands. If a guy makes an ace and bets, its good toknow two aces were folded earlier in the hand. If a guy is showing 2 clubs and calling raises, and the clubs are fairly live i will keep an eye on that hand for sure. I guess my point is, you want to be very specific about your outs, and you want to have a feel for the game as for what is live. I personally do not memorize every card, though if I were in 1 game live at high stakes I would do so. So...look at the board, note what cards are duplicated, and what cards of yours are live. If you make an effort to do so on third street, it will get easier as the hand goes on as people fold.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:01 AM

list them off low to high in your head, at the start of the hand.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
list them off low to high in your head, at the start of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and quickly repeat them to yourself 4 times. That's what I do.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:02 AM

When playing live, I don't look at my down cards until I memorize the cards that are out. So I'll watch the deal and say something like "two sixes, king, queen, ace, hearts are dead" in my mind before I even look at my hand. If I look first, I find cards are mucked before I can grasp then in my mind and also when I do it my way, I find it easier to determine exactly what to do once I look at my hand. Plus it helps for when I don't play the hand so I can better analyze what's happening as I observe.

Jeff
Old 10-28-2005, 09:46 AM

Any use Poker Pal Pro from Paragon for this purpose? It seems like a nice little app.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any use Poker Pal Pro from Paragon for this purpose? It seems like a nice little app.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I haven't tried it out, is it worth the investment? I love 7-card stud, but sometimes i'm slightly distracted. I've checked out the website... what else can you tell us about it?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:58 AM

if you play online i dont think you have to memorize to the same extent as live. online you can look at your hand real quick and determine if it MAY be playable. if not, I don't really worry about it because i am not playing higher than 3/6 and there are a lot of the same people at the site i play that i have good notes on. If so, you can look in no time to see if your hand/suit/straight cards are live. If you are going to continue with your hand then look at what people who fold 3rd have. usually half the table will still be in the hand in most pots and you dont have to memorize those right away because you can see them right in front of your face.

Live I do what jeffage does but I order them highest to lowest and say them a couple times before looking at my cards. it isnt like there are other things going on to distract you or other tables to look at when you are at B&M so you might as well do it every hand.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:03 PM

I've only used the demo version Blankstah - I'd be interested to see if anyone uses the full version as it seems like a useful little tool.